Drill Bit Sharpening - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 644

Drill bit sharpening

Okay, I have seen the complex expensive looking machines on youtube that are used to sharpen drill bit. I watched a few bench grinder videos where the drill bit is like new. I have seen the home owner machines that sharpen bit. Can someone get to the bottom of the question. Is it worth it to sharpen common sized drill bits? Have it done? Buy new? Buy a basic machine? By hand with a file.

Advertisement

mj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

Drill bit sharpening

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
Okay, I have seen the complex expensive looking machines on youtube that are used to sharpen drill bit. I watched a few bench grinder videos where the drill bit is like new. I have seen the home owner machines that sharpen bit. Can someone get to the bottom of the question. Is it worth it to sharpen common sized drill bits? Have it done? Buy new? Buy a basic machine? By hand with a file.
We have a Drill Doctor unit at work, it works, sort of, it doesn't give the greatest results. It cant sharpen bradpoints, multi spur bit, and does a lousy job on any bits smaller than about 1/4"

We just buy bits in bulk, most of the times smaller ones break before ever needing sharpening anyway.
Personally I wouldn't waste my money on a sharpener.

Advertisement

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 738

Drill bit sharpening

I sharpen all mine with a grinding wheel on a pedistal grinder. Anything less then about 1/4 gets tossed. Just to tricky to sharpen a really small drill by hand.
Just takes a little practice.
Go easy and keep the bit cool.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,318

Drill bit sharpening

Seems like more and more stuff is throw away now.

Best thing to do is like Joe said, keep them as cool as you can.

I have a drill doctor but can't confess to having used it more than a couple of times.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,700

Drill bit sharpening

What I did was buy a cheap set then as I replaced broken ones I would replace with good bits. That way the ones you use the most are good ones and you have the others for that odd time you may need them.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 626

Drill bit sharpening

I agree that small bits will break before needing sharpening. I sharpen bits on my bench grinder. Its hit and miss for me --- sometimes I get it right and sometimes I don't. If the bit has difficulty cutting after "sharpening", I pull it out of the chuck, and try again. If I can't get it to cut well, I figure I overheated it and ruined the heat-treat. Its only noticeable when drilling steel --- I am not sure if I would even notice a dull bit when cutting wood.

Advertisement

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote