Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #1

Share |

Drawer Slide Inquiry

I'm building cabinets for my kitchen and have a particular situation I'm hoping someone here can help me out with.

I have a 36" wide rangetop which I had to support on a custom cabinet. The plan is to install two 36" wide, 10-12" deep drawers in the cabinet below the rangetop.

I'd like to use self-closing or easy-close drawer slides, but find that these slides tend to have 24" or 30" drawer width constraints. That's not to say that they won't work on a 36" wide drawer, but I'm not looking to install something that will break before I know it.

Does anyone have a successful experience with a self- or easy-closing slide on a 36" wide drawer?

I've been looking at various slide models from Accuride, but suggestions are welcome.
darenrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #2

Drawer Slide Inquiry

Full extension slides are rated for weight, not width.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #3

Drawer Slide Inquiry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Full extension slides are rated for weight, not width.
Agreed, but given the mechanics of certain slides, if a drawer is too wide, an undersized/inadequate slide will rack more easily.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #4

Drawer Slide Inquiry

Undermount Blum slides?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #5

Drawer Slide Inquiry

Quote:
Originally Posted by darenrogers View Post
Agreed, but given the mechanics of certain slides, if a drawer is too wide, an undersized/inadequate slide will rack more easily.
only if they are overloaded.

when in doubt, use a stronger slide.

The issue of width has more to do with the drawer to carry its own weight. I generally don't make a drawer over 24" wide if I can help it. At least 24 " for each side of a double wide set in a single box. I have made them 39 or 42", but generally on shallower drawers. 4 to 6" deep.

Last edited by jlhaslip; 02-16-2010 at 08:30 PM.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Drawer Slide Inquiry

Nothing helpful here. But, every time I scan by this thread I think it says, "Drawer Slide Injury" and I get all intrigued.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #7

Drawer Slide Inquiry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Nothing helpful here. But, every time I scan by this thread I think it says, "Drawer Slide Injury" and I get all intrigued.
Well if anything goes wrong during the installation, I'll be sure to let you know first!