Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2011, 03:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

downspout locations

on my reno my straight gable roof is 32 feet long ( Length of rain gutter),,,12 feet of roof slopes into this gutter in the back,,14 feet slopes to front gutter,

Do I really need an outlet on both ends of these runs or using oversize gutter and downspouts can I only exit on one end??? whats the 'best' slope end to end of gutter? least slope?

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #2

downspout locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
on my reno my straight gable roof is 32 feet long ( Length of rain gutter),,,12 feet of roof slopes into this gutter in the back,,14 feet slopes to front gutter,

Do I really need an outlet on both ends of these runs or using oversize gutter and downspouts can I only exit on one end??? whats the 'best' slope end to end of gutter? least slope?
I'd have 2 outlet for that length of run. At an 1/8" per foot, if you had one outlet the drop from side to side would be 4". With an outlet on each side, only 2". I don't like a 4" drop for 2 reasons. The visual and the time it takes to get the water from one end to the other in a heavey rain.
The oversize gutters will address the water volume but not the visual.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (07-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #3

downspout locations

I say follow Ron...
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #4

downspout locations

What are the requirements,as to were a neighbours downspout should be directed? Can it be directed on another persons property?
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 104

downspout locations

You can point them anywhere you want. The neighborly thing to do is to have them routed in such a manner that they don't generate an issue for your neighbors though.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

downspout locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
What are the requirements,as to were a neighbours downspout should be directed? Can it be directed on another persons property?
In my area there are codes against directing water onto another's property directly. If the water migrates due to the slope of the land it is not a problem but, to purposely direct a downspout onto the neighbors is a no-no. I had a butt-head neighbor who directed his toward my property thru a hole in his fence. I accidently dropped a brick right in front of the opening. worked for a while till he found it. After that I got the code office involved since he did not get the hint. He then cut the downspout back a foot or so so the water ran onto his property first then onto mine. A 10 wheeler of top soil from a buddy took care of the problem. My property is now ever so slightly higher than his and slopes to the back of my property. All of his water now stays on his property and mine drains to the back of my lot. A good rain storm now turns his back yard into a lake.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #7

downspout locations

I have heard a few different rules of thumb ranging from one downspout to 20 feet of 5 inch gutter up to about 40. I think 30 is probably around the maximum safe limit as long as you are not in an area with super heavy rainfall on a regular basis. It is sufficient if 2 are not feasible, but two would be better. I have an approximately 30 foot run in front with two downspouts and another one of the same length with only one downspout in back. it was all like that when i moved in and i understand why.The way our property is set up in the rear the two options would be to discharge onto a neighbor's property or onto a part of our back lawn that is flat and would quickly become a small lake. Otherwise we would need to get really elaborate and expensive with drainage. That stretch in the rear has what looks like a 4 inch slope, a bit more than the front. No problems so far and no plans to change it. You can definitely see the slope but I don't see it as a big deal.

Last edited by eharri3; 08-21-2013 at 07:15 AM.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote