Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Downdraft range vent exhaust placement problem

Hi all. I'm seeking some advice as to where I should place the exterior exhaust for my down draft range vent. Like many things i'm discovering about this house it was not installed to code.

Currently the 5" galvanized duct is laying an inch from the screen of a crawlspace vent. As a result it's currently venting at least half the exhaust back into the crawlspace. To complicate matters the dryer vent is located 8 inches above the vent and has long ago clogged the screen with caked on lint.

I'm relocating the dryer vent up 3 feet to eliminate one problem and bring it to code, but i'm left with the problem of where to place the range exhaust. I will replace the 5" duct with 6", per range mfg instructions, but I've run out of ideas of where else I can place the range vent due to space constraints. The exterior wall where it is now is already over crowed (window, dryer vent, gas meter, electric meter).

Rather than try to explain it i've crudely drawn this mostly-to-scale layout of the space: http://i.imgur.com/NKT8x9m.png

To my understanding of the local building code (Portland Oregon area):
1. I must be at least 3 feet from any other air flowing opening.
2. I must be at least 3 feet from the gas meter (verified with the utility)
3. I must be at least 12 inches off the ground
4. Cannot exhaust under a deck
5. Cannot exhaust into a living space (ie, over the deck)

Any ideas where the heck I can put this thing? I have no nearby bulkhead or large wall I can use to pipe up through the attic and I have a 60 linear feet limitation on the duct.

Thanks!

Edit: my apologies if this topic is misplaced. Maybe should go in the HVAC forum?

Last edited by Docman; 07-30-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Docman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 600

I believe the 3'spacing from another air moving device only applies to something that has an inlet. I believe the 2 outlets can be right next to each other. You probably need to check this with code requirements in your area. If it's the case then your problem shouldn't be too hard to solve.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Since you will be left with a hole to repair where the dryer vent was, can you put an elbow on the range vent at the location its at now and bring it up the exterior of the wall to where the dryer vent was and elbow again. Then build a box around it and side it with whatever you have on the house now to match.

not sure what that would do to the speed of the air coming out the vent or if you could get it to turn that tight and stay close on the wall.
roger_ is offline   Reply With Quote