Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #1

Share |

Double pane, Low E, Argon filled Windows

How can a person tell if a Double pane, Low E, Argon filled Windows haven't failed?
I'm on Long Island in New York, yes it's freezing outside I know but the t-stat say 73 inside but's cold as a witches elbow near the window (5 bay window about 6'wide)
How can I tell if the integrity of the window is true?
Oh yeah, something worth noting, no moisture is present.

ChristopherSprks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherSprks View Post
How can a person tell if a Double pane, Low E, Argon filled Windows haven't failed?
I'm on Long Island in New York, yes it's freezing outside I know but the t-stat say 73 inside but's cold as a witches elbow near the window (5 bay window about 6'wide)
How can I tell if the integrity of the window is true?
Oh yeah, something worth noting, no moisture is present.
Low E double glazed glass reduces the heat loss. It doesn't stop it.
Good, heavy window drapery helps reduce the heat loss also!
Triple glazing will reduce the heat loss even more. Still won't stop it completely!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #3

I don't think there is a way to tell. I understand the process is to vac out the air, put in the argon and seal it. I've heard about seals going bad, but without a vac guage or some kinda seal patch (like some foods use) there really wouldn't be any way to tell without opening the seal.
Might be some high tech thermometer/heat sencing camera and with some fancy math might be able to determine failure.
KarlJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #4

Pics with infrared cameras is the only way I know of. But as suggested above, they are still glass, and there are limits even for quality glass. Triple glazing adds more efficiency, but also adds to the costs quickly.

Another possibility, it is not so much the glass as the frame construction and/or the installation.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #5

The odds of all the panes failing are very high, so if an IR photo of the whole window were taken, one pane that is defective, would stand out.

Warranty's for glass are usually good so an IR photo indicating a defective pane would be a convincing argument that the manufacturer should supply a replacement.

As a matter of interest, I had a double glazed bathroom window broken. I found a place here, where I live that made a repair.
They were able to open up the vinyl frame, remove the damaged pane, and install a new piece of glass and then put all back together again.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #6

Dude, I don't know how it is in LI right now, but this morning it was 10 degrees F in Philly. Even argon filled low-e double panes are only about R-5 while modern walls are usually R-13 to R-19. As long as there isn't ICE on the inside, your windows are probably OK.

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote