Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Share |

dormer

Do you know a reputable company to put a dormer on my house? I live in Bay Shore, NY.

Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #2

dormer

No. I live in WV. Check the yellow pages. Check with "real" lumber yards (not Home Depot and Lowes) for recommendations on good contractors in your area. Ask any friends/acquaintances who have had remodeling done.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

dormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose7 View Post
Do you know a reputable company to put a dormer on my house? I live in Bay Shore, NY.
I'll recommend what I recommend to everyone: go on the Better Business Bureau web site and search for a company that has been accredited with the bureau for many years (at least five, IMO) and which has an excellent rating and very few or no complaints (usually these go hand in hand, but it's worth checking both).

Businesses with these criteria are likely to be doing things right and treating customers properly. Furthermore, they're also likely to be very protective of this status--they are likely to go the extra mile to make sure they don't piss off customers and risk tarnishing their BBB standing.

Is it a perfect system? Absolutely not; there are no guarantees. However, I assure you taking this approach will significantly improve your chances you find a good contractor. Angies List, Yelp, etc...those are complementary, IMO. Reviews are helpful if you can trust them. The higher threshold of the BBB is more reliable in my eyes.

Last edited by cortell; 04-25-2012 at 01:40 PM.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cortell For This Useful Post:
Rose7 (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

dormer

trying to find a contractor here is like trying to find a bride in a brothel.. you have to check locally for reputable remodeling contractors that specialize in additions

regarding the bbb.. its not neccessary at all. i know and have worked for several contractors that are at the top of the hill when it comes to reno companies and arent a member. all it means is more overhead for hte contractor which gets passed on to the homeowner.. they bully the member for money, pay up you get a good rating...
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #5

dormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose7
Where exactly is that?
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Coconut Pete's paella!

dormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
Where exactly is that?
It's at the intersection of Google St. and Maps Ave.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #7

dormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete

It's at the intersection of Google St. and Maps Ave.
It would have been easier just to say Long Island.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
A Little Of Everything

dormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
trying to find a contractor here is like trying to find a bride in a brothel.. you have to check locally for reputable remodeling contractors that specialize in additions

regarding the bbb.. its not neccessary at all. i know and have worked for several contractors that are at the top of the hill when it comes to reno companies and arent a member. all it means is more overhead for hte contractor which gets passed on to the homeowner.. they bully the member for money, pay up you get a good rating...
Yep. The Better Business Bureau is an absolutely worthless organization. In fact, they're worse than worthless, because they give the false impression that their ratings are objective, when in reality they're based on nothing more than whether or not a companies pays their BBB dues.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #9

dormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks

Yep. The Better Business Bureau is an absolutely worthless organization. In fact, they're worse than worthless, because they give the false impression that their ratings are objective, when in reality they're based on nothing more than whether or not a companies pays their BBB dues.
As I said, don't rely strictly on the rating. If a company has an A+ but has two complaints in the last year, I'd keep looking

Ratings are subjective, and thus prone to abuse. Complaint count is not

Last edited by cortell; 04-26-2012 at 08:46 AM.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #10

dormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell

As I said, don't rely strictly on the rating. If a company has an A+ but has two complaints in the last year, I'd keep looking

Ratings are subjective, and thus prone to abuse. Complaint count is not
Are there any Amish on LI? I'd have them do the work.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
In a little over my head

dormer

I'd start by calling a couple real lumberyards or building supply stores. NOT HD or Lowes. Ask them if they'd like to recommend a good remodeler. Then interview several. Drive and look at their work. Keep in mind that the references the contrator supplies may be worthless. Even the worst craftsman or most dishonest GC can find someone who'll say nice things over the phone.

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote