Door Swing From Bedroom - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
pal

Rewards Points: 10

door swing from bedroom

Does anyone know if it is against building code or fire code to have a bedroom door open into a hallway instead of opening into the bedroom?

Advertisement

pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

door swing from bedroom

Assuming we're talking about single family residential residences, the IRC code is silent on this issue. For convenience, most bedroom doors swing into the bedroom so they don't obstruct the hallway.

Door swing can come into play in commercial construction when a room's occupant load exceeds 50 people. In that case, doors swing in the direction of the flow of egress to keep people from piling up in the doorways like they did in that Rhode Island nightclub fire.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 528

door swing from bedroom

DON'T DO IT.

If a fire occurs and someone is trapped, the firefighter who will be wearing a breathing device has to deal with zero visability. He will be trying to open the door in. Thinking it is locked, he will lose precious time trying to break the door.
Its not true what you see in hollywood movies whereas the rescuers can see what they are doing in interior fires.

The door when fully opened should be against a wall. If this is not the case, then install a new door.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

door swing from bedroom

rjordan392 has a great point. When I was younger, I had my share of structure fires. Crouched down, in the pitch dark, not being able to see 2 inches beyond your mask, that's no time to figure out that this guy's bedroom door bucks everything you've ever known about a residential bedroom door. I'd think what my instincts are telling me: a door that opens out is a stairwell, or worse, a linen closet. Talk about disorienting.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

door swing from bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie67 View Post
rjordan392 has a great point. When I was younger, I had my share of structure fires. Crouched down, in the pitch dark, not being able to see 2 inches beyond your mask, that's no time to figure out that this guy's bedroom door bucks everything you've ever known about a residential bedroom door. I'd think what my instincts are telling me: a door that opens out is a stairwell, or worse, a linen closet. Talk about disorienting.
I have been in this trade for many years and have never heard any discussion of this topic from this point of view. I always swing bedroom and bathroom doors into the room, against a wall for asthestics; I don't want to see a bunch of ugly open doors cluttrering a hall; but your reason is a point that should be well taken by all, both diy and pro.It is indeed true that when we can't visually verify something, our brain defaults to the "norm"; hot water is the left side knob or shut off valve, touch the wall on the latch side of the door for a light switch when you enter a dark room, reach back with your right hand to flush the toilet, etc.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

door swing from bedroom

I'm thinking that the reason for your post is the need for room in the bedroom. Though it is not as easy as changing the swing of the door, another option would be to install a pocket door. They are not too hard to install as long as you are not scared to do a little drywall work. Do a search if you think this might be a better option for you.
Brett
Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

door swing from bedroom

Last house had a small bathroom & I installed a pocket door for more room. I actually did consider an outswing door. I didn't think it would look right & there was a bedroom door right next to it

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote