Door Insulation? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Door insulation?

My French doors to my backyard are "freezing" to the touch (metal doors). Even its double pane glass feels warmer (and my main entry door, fiberglass, doesn't feel that cold either).

Does that mean I'm losing a ton of heat through them?

If so, is there anything I can do without replacing the doors?

Advertisement

MangoMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Door insulation?

The short answer, most likely. As for insulation, you could replace the trim weatherstripping, or just use a 3m or Frost King plastic vapor barrier kit, to seal from any air transfer, until you fix it when you can.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 524

Door insulation?

It would be good if we could see the doors. I have a similar problem in my office at work. when the section of the building I work in was remodeled they put in new windows. The thermopane glass is real nice but, the aluminum frames are horrible. Simple extruded frames with no insulation or thermal break. On a cold night, I can set a water bottle on the frame and in the morning it will be slushy to almost frozen.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote