Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #1

Share |

Door from inside house to garage

Hello! First off, thank you for your time and help!

Here's what I have... a hallway leading to the garage. At the end of the hallway there are 3 doors, one straight ahead, and one on either side. Two bedrooms on the sides, open into the bedrooms, and the door straight ahead opens into the garage.

For that garage door, I want it to be cheap, have a deadbolt hole, and be a decent insulator. Basically, I need an outswing exterior door, but I don't have the money to special order one.

So, given my situation, could I simply purchase an inswing, turn around the bottom plate, and install it backwards? I realize that it's less secure, but security isn't as big of an issue as insulation.

Thanks!

zrooster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #2

First and formost, the door needs to be a fire rated door. You would need to check with your local Building Dept if the door could open into the garage.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #3

It needs to be a fire rated door for safety - especially so if you have bedrooms adjacent.

I have never had a bulding inspection question regarding in-swing or out-swing for a garage door, with most swinging into the garage - but as always, your area may have differing or specific requirements. A call to your building department would likely and easily provide the definitive answer.

I would make sure this is done correctly and with the proper door, as it's a common thing to be checked during a house inspection when selling/buying - and for safety.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #4

Fire rated... I've definitely got to look into that!

What would be involved in taking an inswing and turning it around?
Old 02-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Household Handyman

It sounds like you are wanting to use an interior door for an exterior door. And do a lot of work to make an interior door work. You want low cost (not cheap), a deadbolt hole, and some insulation value. Sorry, but IMO, an interior door will not meet these requirements. As posted-you may have local code issues to meet as far as an exterior door. Being it sounds as if you already have an existing door/door frame--Is there a local "Habitat For Humanity", "Goodwill Builders Outlet", or such near? Sometimes these type places get Builders Supply businesses leftovers/overstocks which are brand new. You may find a "door slab" there to fit your needs. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #6

metal door probably your best choice cost wise and habitat good place to start looking
Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #7

We also need a spring loaded closer on those garage doors leading to the interior.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #8

What if I take an inswing door and turn it around... would there be anything wrong with that, and what would be involved in that?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #9

the threshold would be draining into the house and the door could be removed by popping the hinges, but it would work.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote