Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Door Hinge Problem (Please Help!!)

Hey guys,

I don't know if this is the appropriate place but this is a quite urgent question.

My mom took out the doorknob because it broke but the door is still locked closed. I want to take it off the hinges but am baffled by the bottom and middle hinge. The pin is not coming out and the pin doesn't have a head that protrudes from the top to leverage it off.

I have attached a picture of the hinge. It seems that it has some sort of thing on the side that needs to be depressed but I haven't been able to. I haven't been able to hit the hinge up from the bottom either.

Do you guys have any experience with this hinge? If so, what do you think I should do?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52327835@N02/5080406834/

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

pseudoreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

not sure but that looks like a self closing hinge or a spring hinge. Did the door close on it's own?

not sure how to take them off.

can you take a pic of the handle? maybe there is something there that I can help with.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:23 AM   #3

The door closes on its on. So yea it is probably some sort of spring hinge.

This is a picture of the handle part. My mom took out the knob before I got home. There was a part protruding into the whole but that broke off when I tried to use pliers to pull on that to pull out the plunger. So the plunger is in the wall and the door is shut so we can't open it.

Thanks so much for your help! I tried using credit card etc to open door but it's not working. I can only access the slit between door and wall on this side. On other side (garage side) it's not accessible.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

can you get a thin screwdriver and wiggle the latch open in a similar fashion you were using the credit card? Sometimes a butter knife will work. You might need to use 2 so you can walk the latch back into the door.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #5

You mean sort of pull the plunger that goes into the wall out with a butter knife?

Could it be possible that it's locked into place somehow and I need to release it?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

well, the lock is missing. That would be part of the handle.

with a butter knife, slip it between the door frame and the door and push it close to the latch (the plunger). then, take another knife and do the same thing

then, with the first knife, try to push the hand towards the hinge side (right side) and while doing that, push it tight against the plunger. Then push the handle towards the latch side (left side) hopefully moving the latch, even just a bit will work. Then, take the other knife and push it in real tight against the latch to keep the plunger from going back into it's pocket. Then, with the first knife, do the same as you did before only releasing the second knife when you have the first knife tight against the latch. Then, pivot that knife and push the second knife back tight against the plunger to hold it.

if you can get the latch to move just a little each time, you can eventually work the latch out of it's catch and you can open the door.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #7

Reinstall the lock and turn the knob.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

I would try and slide a putty knife in between the strike plate and the door. See if you can spring the door that way.

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote