Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #1

Share |

Door bottom (sweep)

Does anyone know of a good replacement bottom for a wooden door? I mean the vinyl fins that attach to the bottom, not a sweep "blade" that attaches to one side.* The bottom on my door was falling apart where it meets the door frame on the latch side. I replaced it with a L-shaped bottom (Thermwell aka Frost King) that screws down on one side, which is fine but the fins are so long that they made the door hard to operate and most tore off within a few weeks. The intent was not to have to take the door off the hinges (I have no storm, so we'd be open to the elements while I work), but if I got one that tacks to the bottom like the original I'll go for it... if I could find one.

* See, a sweep makes no sense because it attaches to the inswing side of the door, which means it isn't closing the gap on the outside of the door where the seal is.

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #2

Door bottom (sweep)

If you go to any of the big box stores you should find a wide variety of door sweeps. If you previously had a brush style that mounts to one side, I don't think that is going to be effective.
You should be able to find something like this, which is more solid and wraps around the bottom of the door. Measure your door thickness before you drive to the store. Note that the mounting holes are slotted. When you put the screws in, make sure you have room so you can raise or lower the sweep so that it is just touching the floor.
The multi-blade style worked well for me, but there are many styles, and you need to think about what will work best for the door and frame you have.

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #3

Door bottom (sweep)

photo didn't make it first time. I meant to post this:
Attached Thumbnails
Door bottom (sweep)-doorsweep.jpg  
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Door bottom (sweep)

If the bottom edge of the door is falling apart, no sweep will stay on very long, even if you trim the sweep for length of the door. What you may have to do, is just bite the bullet, and replace the door and frame with a good steel or fiberglass insulated door.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #5

Door bottom (sweep)

The door itself is in good condition; it's the rubber door bottom that wasn't.

Those U-shaped ones have exactly the same length fins and won't make as good a seal because of the extra plastic on the outside. I already tried an aluminum one and a new gap was created where the kerf seal met the metal.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #6

Door bottom (sweep)

I'd put a storm door on and any seal that kept the wind out on the main door.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #7

Door bottom (sweep)

This what I was looking for. I finally determined the magic Google words :-)
http://www.allaboutdoors.com/product...ducts_id=84006

Tough time to have the house open, though, so I'll either need to hang plastic while I'm doing this or just rig up something for now.