Is A Dome Over A Shower Just Begging For Trouble? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is a dome over a shower just begging for trouble?

I wanted to get some input from some of the pros about an idea I wanted to implement in my upcoming bathroom renovation.

I'm making my main bathroom bigger in my next project and I wanted to add an eye catching architectural feature at the shower area...the original plan was an arched ceiling over the shower/tub, but now I woke up this morning with the idea that I should put a domed ceiling (see attached picture) but I have some concerns about moisture trapping in the domed area.

I am installing an exhaust fan and I plan to use greenboard and of course I will be painting with an appropriate bathroom paint.

So, what do you guys think? Am I begging for problems in the near future or do you think that I'll be safe with this project?

P.S. The dome height is 7"
Attached Thumbnails
Is a dome over a shower just begging for trouble?-image1.jpg  

Advertisement

docstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You shouldn't have any more problems specific to the dome than you would with a regular greenboard ceiling over a shower. I'm assuming you're not wanting to tile this, right?

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

that's right, I wan't the dome to be painted (no tile) and the walls are going to be 1-piece cultured marble slabs...I was just concerned that the dome would act as an area for the steam to get trapped and have that moisture stay there longer than it would with a flat ceiling...you're probably right though, the steam would likely clear out of there fairly quickly.

Thanks for the input
docstewart is offline   Reply With Quote