Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dog Door Installation

Can anyone give me good basic instructions on installing a dog door in an exterior wall with hardy plank siding? I need info on framing, mounting, sealing, etc. I bought a Staywell model 740 dog door and they don't give good instructions at all. Thanks in advance for any help.

truetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dog Door Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetide View Post
Can anyone give me good basic instructions on installing a dog door in an exterior wall with hardy plank siding? I need info on framing, mounting, sealing, etc. I bought a Staywell model 740 dog door and they don't give good instructions at all. Thanks in advance for any help.
You are going to have to remove the siding around the areas of the doggy door. You would have to approach it the same as you would if you were installing an entry door or window. Look up instructions for that. Hardy plank siding is installed and cut same as normal clapboards.

The only thing is that you need to make sure that there are weather proof flanges or casing around the doggy door frame (Something that keeps water or moisture from entering).

Some people also install a little 'roof' over the doggy door to further keep weather from entering the door or the areas around the door.

That is the best I can do off the top of my head for the moment...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote