Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to mischka222

Dog barriers

OK - I came home form work toady and yet AGAIN my puppy (75lb 6 mo weimeraner) had gotten into sons room and destroyed it - knocked new shelves from wall - tore up all the blinds (again)......the problem is until we get house leveled, the door will not shut on its on. It sticks at the top and you have to use force to open it, but the dog apparently rams his way in. Since the door swings open I have no idea of how to block the door. My husband has suggested a screen lock - but I am afraid that will pull out too easily, but then I do not want to go through and put huge locks and holes in the framework since I hope to get house leveled in next couple of months - thus eliminating the problem of the dog "breaking in"!

Any suggestions out there?

mischka222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Dog barriers

Having a destructive dog roaming the house while you are gone is not a good situation. I would suggest purchasing a crate for the dog to stay in while you are gone. I have 2 dogs with crates here. Since this is a temporary situation, it should not be a problem. Actually, if the dog tears one room up now, keeping him out will only force him to take out his agressions on another area. Sounds like the dog needs some training.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dog barriers

I agree with MD

It's not a door problem, it's a dog problem
This is not "...just spirited puppy behavior" that will blow over in a few months

I've seen crate training work wonders
It's better for everyone, including puppy (especially puppy), to take care of this ASAP
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
Construction Guru

Dog barriers

When my Golden Labs were younger, we had the same type of problems. We found that when we locked the doors, they tore those up including the jamb and moldings around it. Consider purchasing some baby fences to put in front of the door. Leave a TV or radio playing because a lot of the bad behavior can be attributed to seperation anxiety. The noise created by the TV or radio will keep him from feeling alone. Other than that, training will be the best help I would think.
sheeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to mischka222

Dog barriers

We have tried the crate - a few times - only to come home to the thing turned upside down and the dog in "hysterics". After reading more about Wiems, they are very prone to separation anxiety and a few articles did not recommend leaving them in a crate for over 3 or 4 hours at most. (Longest he has been in has been about 2 hours - freaked him out totally, he is ok when you are there and he can see you, but as soon as you leave his site or he hears the door close, he stresses!)

I have been using a repellent spray and so far that has helped - he hasn't gone for the same places anyway! That and I have tied the door off so that it will not close behind him and lock him in the room. Most days are good - not much out of place, but when he has a bad day - he has a really bad day!

Wish me luck on the "crate training"! (He is so sad in there - it hurts me more than him I think - I give to easy!)
mischka222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
HarryHarley

Rewards Points: 75

Dog barriers

Good luck with the crate. It may be your only solution. I have a crate for our two German Shepherds. It took a while but they are now trained to go into the crate on command. They may stay in there all day if need be. You may try leaving on the radio or TV in the area of the crate. May calm with a little back ground noise.
HarryHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Dog barriers

why not try a peice of old clothing with your scent on it as bedding in the crate - as he will be able to smell something of yours in with him that may reduce his anxiety.
lxdollarsxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Dog barriers

Put a blanket over the crate to make it feel more comfortable like you do for a bird.

Attach crate to floor.

You should have taken care of this already.....

harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote