DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Does your job require a permit?

81K views 203 replies 95 participants last post by  rightnwrong 
#1 · (Edited)
Thinking about a home improvement project? My muncipalities require permits for many types of home improvement projects. These codes are in place for safety of all and take into consideration local conditions, (such as hurricane zones, earthquake zones, snowloads in northern regions, etc. which must be taken into account during the planning phase of your project. To aid you in your planning I suggest you browse over to {link no longer works }
From here you'll be able to find out what type of permits are required for your region and who to contact about them.

It's also important to consider what's beneath your yard before you start digging and post holes, footers, etc. Every state has a different phone number to call fo this, but if you will do a google search with the terms "call before you dig & Your State" You'll find the link to the approriate local agency, many allow you to register your dig on-line and nearly all have toll free phone numbers. Warning, failure to follow established procedures will in most cases leave you or your contractor liable for any damages which may occur to underground utilities not to mention possibly be hazardous to your health!!

Another reason, (that I'm sure Mike S. could elobrate on) for taking the time to pull permits for remodeling and additions (a deck is an addition to the structure) is prevent future headaches if and when you should choose to sell your property. Items that don't meet code will be on the home inspector's hit list of items that will devalue your property.

Work safe, follow the rules & codes, you'll be glad you did.

See less See more
#2 ·
Projects not done to local code with the appropriate permits and inspections can jeopardize the sale of your home. The lender may deny the buyers' loan, and/or a buyer may not accept anything not to code.
Electrical code violations are not only hazardous, they may cause your Homeowner's insurer to deny a fire claim if found to be the cause.
Plumbing code violations may cause function problems or leaks. Water is the primary source of damage to homes.
Structural code violations are even worse. These will cause even more problems.
If you're going to do it at all, do it to code with all of the proper permits and inspections, and keep the records.
Good Luck!
Mike

#5 ·
sos. help needed

SOS, somebody help me please, I need your advise about “evil door”. I live in apartment on the second floor above the side entrance and entrance to the basement, which has laundry inside. The problem is the doors that slam so hard that I can fill vibrating walls and loud annoying noise. It is really TERRIBLE. The doors are metals and very heavy. They should be always locked because the building located in the busiest area of Queens, New York. Somebody, please help me!!!!!! I need your advice how I can bring the doors in normal conditions. By the way, the super of the building is not able to fix, even he tried so many times. The landlord will take a lifetime to take care of it. In other words, WELCOME TO NEW YORK. Lovely handy men, please give me a hint or at least some suggestions that will bring peace in my life. Anna.

THANK YOU A LOT.

#6 ·
I might also add when changing/expanding the footprint of you home it is sometimes wise to consult a surveyor and have an asbuilt done. My neighbor fighting now where an addition he built on some years ago is too close to property line and the lender will not fund to the new purchaser.

#110 ·
deck construction

Does adding a deck up your property tax as this isn't "livable space?" Thanks.
Most states property tax is based on the value of the home, not necessarily the living space...If you permit the construction of the deck (which probably should be done), they will most likely increase the value of your property assessment, thus increasing your taxes each year...

#14 ·
Doing right or wrong is a separate issue with having a permit or not, you can do it right but without a permit or vice versa... the question to ask the insurance broker should really be "If I built somthing which required a permit which I didn't obtained, such as basement..etc.. if there is an accident caused by this new built with evidence, will the insurance company cover the lost" an example, if a 6 feet high deck was built, which requires a permit, but you didn't obtain one, should one of your friend broke his leg and sue you because you didn't setup the rail according to code... would the insurance paid for the compensation...etc....

#15 ·
If you get away with only an $1800 fine, consider yourself lucky! They could (in addition to the fine) make you rip it out and start again --- Not very convenient when you’re trying to sell your house. Another thing to consider is if the potential buyer has a thorough lawyer, that digs deep with the city, permit offices, etc. looking for things like old (forgotten) easements or permits [lack of]. The buyer could use that information to get you to lower your selling price OR tip off the city...

#16 · (Edited)
Even easier then going to that website is to get the number for your local building department or whoever is in charge of issuing permits and ask if you need one.

It's supriseing what things you need permits for (changeing a window for example) and what you don't need permits for. I can finish my basement includeing remodeling an existing bathroom without a permit due to some grandfather clause in the local building codes.

#18 ·
permit concerns!

I totally understand the concept of permits and as to why they are required and in place, But from what i have seen in my own house when contractors have performed repairs e.g. roofing and a fireplace liner,both to which i was very unhappy with the workmanship, and when consulting the building inspector,he in turn asked advice from the
contractors........What the... maybe it is just my area, but i sure have lost confidience..

#19 ·
I totally understand the concept of permits and as to why they are required and in place, But from what i have seen in my own house when contractors have performed repairs e.g. roofing and a fireplace liner,both to which i was very unhappy with the workmanship, and when consulting the building inspector,he in turn asked advice from the
contractors........What the... maybe it is just my area, but i sure have lost confidience..

I am sorry to hear that.....this is always going to be the case from time to time....

There are VERY, VERY knowledgable, cautious, personable, professional, and educated building inspectors....but, it seems for every 10 of these, there are sadly some that should not be in the position that they are in....

Sorry to hear about your experience...

#27 · (Edited)
Only one in ten inspectors are bad? I think the number is much higher. The most annoying thing are inspectors who don't even know what is in various codes. They essentially make crap up as they go along it would seem. Then you have to fight with them to prove they are wrong which then hacks them off, causing them to try and nitpick even more, which causes them......oh well , you get the idea. I'm not jaded about inpectors or anything.
My favorite line I heard from a plumber once about the inspector that had just given us a hard time about something (I don't even remember what any more) that turned out to be nothing , was
"There goes the inspector, Last year he could'nt spell it, now he IS it".
Maybe you had to be there and had to know the plumber, but I always thought that was funny.
My area isn't even super controlling with permits and the like. I can't even imagine trying to do work somewhere like Florida where I've heard you almost need a permit to sweep off your front porch.

People wouldn't try to avoid inspectors and permits as much if perhaps the building officials could be counted on to know what they are talking about.

#30 ·
Our town here in Michigan has 6 "Code Enforcement Agents" on the payroll. I've met 3 of them, all have been complete idiots. Their job is to drive around all day and catch people doing things that require a permit. 2 years ago I had new windows installed, they drove up like the place was on fire. She jumped out, demanded all work be ceased (my old windows were out but the new ones not in yet) and started to write me up. I told to get her boss on the phone, I wanted to talk to the city inspector. 2 hours later the work crew is picking their noses sitting around scared for their jobs when the inspector calls back. News flash: so long as the structure is not being altered new windows don't require a permit. You better believe the city had a letter from me come Monday morning questioning why my tax dollars are paying the salaries of complete morons who do not even know the codes they are paid to enforce.

Last year I gutted my kitchen down to the studs. New wiring, plumbing, cabinets, lighting, the whole nine yards..... a bed sheet over the windows is a nice way to avoid needed $500 worth of permits. I'm not saying they aren't necessary because every Tom, ************, and Harry out there shouldn't be doing significant home improvements, but around here its more of a business to the city than a prevention tool.

#31 · (Edited)
Regarding your claim: That's too bad you had to go through that. And my condolences, if, (as you allege) there are 3 inspectors that you have disagreed with, in your town .....

Please be aware that in all the towns that we have worked in over the years in 3 states, we have not found anything remotely similar to the one situation that you claim to have gone through. (If that had happened to us, we would have laughed, taken out a copy of code requirements and kept working. You're ignorance of the codes caused your delays and the situation.)

We have a copy of the state building codes on all jobs that we do (it is required by law). We also have State issued ''sheets'' that show what is required and what is not required to have a permit for.

Regarding Permits, I know that you stated:
.....I'm not saying they aren't necessary .....
I must say, that I still don't agree that (due to the experience that you claim you went thru) this would ever equate to a valid reason not to follow building code laws and the obtaining of all required permits in any Town, City or Jurisdiction.

And this point:
.....but around here its more of a business to the city than a prevention tool.
Doesn't matter.....do you NOT pay your property taxes simply because you feel that they are too high? The law is the law. If you don't like it, run for office and change it. If you choose to break the law, please don't come on this site and brag about it, as if to encourage members to do the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.