Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #1

Share |

Does waterproof equal steamproof?

I have an over-the-range microwave and the stainless steel panel always seems to come loose from the plastic housing of the door. This is most likely due to the steam from cooking.

I can find many glues/epoxies that are waterproof. But does this necessarily mean that they are also steamproof?

Also any ideas on what I can use? I've tried 2-part epoxy and the SS panel loosened after a few months. I may try the loctite power grab roll.

K1NJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
remodeling pro

The problem with the epoxy is most likely that it is too brittle to stand the constant expansion/contraction of the adjoining parts, thus cracks; more so than as a direct result of contact from the steam itself. I do not know what the temp range of the stuff is, but I would look into a marine grade of polyurethane adhesive/sealanr, like 3M 5200. A call to their tech dept should get you that info, or a recommendation of a more suitable product if needed. There is not much in the world of adhesives/sealants that 3M does not have in it's product line.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #3

Did you try the manufacturer? Maybe they have a fix. I bet your not the only one with the problem.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #4

Well, I just placed an order for the loctite roll yesterday. We'll see if that works, and if not then I guess I'll contact them.
K1NJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
The problem with the epoxy is most likely that it is too brittle to stand the constant expansion/contraction of the adjoining parts, thus cracks; more so than as a direct result of contact from the steam itself.
You're on the right track, but it actually goes to the other extreme. Epoxy is nothing more than a plastic. It's a STRONG plastic, but it IS a plastic, and it SOFTENS with the heat. I can't say with reference to epoxy glues, but I know that in tile work, the one place you can't use epoxy grout is around extreme heat, and the best way to remove epoxy grout from a joint if you have to remove a tile is with a heat gun and utility knife.