Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Do you rekey locks after a tenant leaves?

For you guys with properties, do you rekey the locks as standard practice after someone leaves?

How do you do it? do you have a kit or change the whole assembly?

NWFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

In some states there is a law that says if you have the right to possess a key you have the right to duplicate the key. “Do not dup” on some keys means nothing according to law.

It looks like you have the responsibility to keep your next tenants reasonably safe. If you do not change the locks between tenants anyone could walk right into the door that has a key. If that happens there would be a liability issue.

1950home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,030

Take it to a good lumber yard, well ask before you go, they can do it.
Put on a temp knob while that one is off.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
Take it to a good lumber yard, well ask before you go, they can do it.
Put on a temp knob while that one is off.
Cost me $7 a lock, (key included) if I take it to them.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 546

I don't. If I did, I would just keep some locks on hand and switch them around. For example, if every unit had 3 knobs and deadbolts, I would keep 3 on hand and just rotate them.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have always changed locks for new tenants in properties I managed or rented myself. I have always changed locks on any place I have bought or rented myself. I just feel better with a clean slate and knowing, at least to start, how many keys I issued.

I charged tenants a key deposit and used it to pay for the lock change and the first key for each on the lease plus one more I encouraged them to leave with family or friends in case of a lockout. I paid a small amount like that mentioned in a prior post if I pulled the locks and took them to the locksmith for same day service but was in no real rush to get them. For larger properties I, or the locksmith, sometimes did the switch routine mentioned.

In all cases I had the locksmith keep records for me and the tenants had the name and the locksmith database had the names of tenants authorized to get keys. If tenants locked themselves out and I was not around with the master key, they could save some money since the key codes were on file and the locksmith could just crank out a new one.

Keys are funny things and I tried to manage the number of them floating around just so I had an idea of how many people had access to a rented place. But as mentioned, I think locksmiths and your neighborhood hardware store are the only ones that pay any attention to "Do Not Duplicate!" The minimum wage people at box stores will duplicate anything (the good news is since they do not know how to work the automatic machines, most of the keys don't work).

NYC works a bit differently. You have to provide reasonable access and you are obligated to keep the building's lock key code or get permission to make a change. You do buy your own super lock and deadbolt combination and you can take it with you from apartment to apartment. You do not have to provide a key to it to the super or manager but you cannot use it to deny access. My Medico was like $600 installed or something ridiculous. I can only imagine what it would cost to rekey it. In some ways having the tenant share in responsibility for locks is a good idea I think.

In campus communities where I managed property the trick was getting kids to lock the doors at all! I cannot tell you how many sad sob stories that were supposedly my fault I lived through.

"They took all our laptops, three televisions, the stereo, the dog, cat and goldfish! Security at this building sucks!"

"Did you lock the door and close the windows? Hide the laptops?"

"Well no, we shouldn't have to. You said when we rented this was a safe neighborhood! And we were only all gone for one class except for Fred who was here the whole time! Maybe he heard something. Fred, would you turn the stereo down and come down here please! Fred! FRED!!!! Dammit FRED!!!!"
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Well I ended up getting a couple of rekey kits for $12 each off of ebay. will do 4 locks each. The house is funny in that the front door and screen door are kwikset and the rears are schlage.
NWFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 152

Try using some of the new door locks that are able to be re keyed with key sets that are available from the store.

It works something like this. Insert old key...insert tool...rotate key...insert new key rotate it, remove tool...and that's it. (This is approximately the process as I remember reading it.) You could eventually not have to buy new key sets, once you've re keyed the door several times. You could just use your old keys from a couple of cycles ago...or switch between properties once keys have been on the shelf for a while.

These locks are more expensive...so, it may be a trade off cost wise.

What I see most is that landlords are using the very cheapest door locks that they can find.

You could also use digital locks...and change the codes after a tenant leaves...and those are expensive. I paid $120 for mine. We found it to be the best solution for kids losing keys...

Hope this helps.
Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed911 View Post
Try using some of the new door locks that are able to be re keyed with key sets that are available from the store.
I forgot about those and there not that expensive.
http://www.kwikset.com/smartsecurity...echnology.aspx
Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed911 View Post
That is my recommendation as well, the "Smart Key" system.

I have a 6 unit building with fairly agressive turnover, and they've not only saved me money since I started using them, but it saves a lot of time, and confusion over saving old spare door knobs, deadbolts and keys. Before, we replaced the locksets with new, and hung on to the old ones and used them again after a year or so.......

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote