Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #1

Share |

Do I have to hire a locksmith?

Hi there,
I live in a condo. One of the doors in the basement no longer opens. It is a round knob, and you insert the key into the center of the knob. The key won't turn, and it's not only my key--no one in the building can open it.

One of our other residents tends to destroy property every now and then, and I suspect he may have caused the problem. There is a big dent in the doorknob, as if someone hit it with a hammer. I think that the dent appeared about the time that the door stopped opening, but I'm not positive--it could be a red herring.

My question is this: Will a locksmith be able to get the door open without a crowbar? Or is a crowbar the only way to get the door open if the lock is mesed up, in which case I might as well save my money and pry it open myself? Any insight would be welcome!

Thanks so much.

dooiejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #2

A lock smith may be able to get it open considering it is the key not turning. they may be pricey but it wouldn't hurt to call and get a idea on pricing to have one look at it and give it a try. Is there any other way in the area like a window or similar. Sometimes it can be cheaper to replace a pane of glass instead of the damage from a pry bar! Dose the door open in or out I have pulled door hinge pins to gain access to a room with a broken lock also some times just removing a door stop (if removable) can also help gain access to the latch its self. Just a couple ideas for you. What is it a storage room or utility room or something?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #3

Thanks, Matt.
I will go take a look tonight to see about the hinge pins. I'm pretty sure they're on the other side of the door, but it's worth double-checking. Unfortunately, the door is the only access to the room. It is a storage room--and doesn't really even need to have a lock since it's beyond ANOTHER locked door (that works! At least for now!)

Thanks again.
Julia
dooiejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #4

Have a go yourself, as it doesn't really matter if it doesn't lock after.

If though you would need it to be locked, I would call one as it would prob work out cheaper in the long run. If you get it open yourself then find you need to lock it, there may then be repairs te the door itself as well as the lock.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote