Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Do Any Contractors Take Credit Cards??

I desperatly want to build a 400 sq ft edition on top of my Ranch home with bathroom and steps going upstairs. I gotta assume the cost would be between $10k - 15k. ?

I need to find GC's who accept Credit Cards.

rlf1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

I seriously do not see an addition (bathroom), even the size that you say, costing that amount of money (no way, not even close).

Personally, I think that you are off by at least 1/2 the total. I suggest that you start at $30K for adding a 2nd floor bath with stair access. There is alot involved with alterations. Example: It's highly doubtful that your existing ceiling joists will support the added weight.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply Atlantic. Well, I forgot to mention I'm an electrician so there's $8,000 saved for the electrical work. I know I was low with my numbers but I'm sure I can get close. In fact I'll do the painting and trim work.

You are correct saying that the current structure migvht not support the weight.

Built in 1950 single story Ranch. Basement ceiling joists are 2x10 but main level ceiling joists are 2x6.

Do we need to worry about the wall structure too ie: plates and 2x4's? Or how about the basement cinder blocks?
rlf1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf1217 View Post
Thanks for the reply Atlantic. Well, I forgot to mention I'm an electrician so there's $8,000 saved for the electrical work. I know I was low with my numbers but I'm sure I can get close. In fact I'll do the painting and trim work.

You are correct saying that the current structure migvht not support the weight.

Built in 1950 single story Ranch. Basement ceiling joists are 2x10 but main level ceiling joists are 2x6.

Do we need to worry about the wall structure too ie: plates and 2x4's? Or how about the basement cinder blocks?
If your 2x4 walls are 16" OC framing, and everything else looks up to snuff, then you may be good. Your foundation would also need to be able to support the added load.
Additionally, you might want to check with your local inspectional offices to see what they would need submitted for such a project. I am sure that they will want drawings, engineer specs on how you will support the added load, maybe even architectual plans (?) = $$.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contractors, credit card, edition