Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

As a DIYer, whats been your experience dealing with inspectors?

Hi All,

I've been lurking this forum for a long time but up until now have had all of my questions answered through searching.

I recently bought a 1935 colonial which is in great shape and really needs nothing . That said, I am in the early planning stages of a 2 story, gable end addition which I would like to do almost entirely myself (with the help of cheap labor from friends/family of course).

I have a bunch of experience doing renovation and home building projects over the years, but one thing I have never dealt with is inspectors. I've either not pulled a permit or if working on friends or families homes, they dealt with the inspection process.

So my question is, as a DIYer taking on large projects, whats been everyone's experience dealing with inspectors? Are they "tougher" on DIYers? I realize that if you build everything above code, they cant say much, but in general I'm wondering if they approach non-pros with a less than accommodating attitude.

JustinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 58

They probably look at DIY different because they are an unknown commodity. Meaning most inspectors deal with contractors on a day to day basis so they know what to expect from them. A DIY'er they don't know their skill level or what to expect so yes they are or seem to be tougher on diy.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 108

I think how tough the are depends on how much the trust you and what the see as the competence level.

My inspectors are great. The ding me when necessary but also give me a lot of slack on things.

For example, when I was getting buy off on my electrical rough in, I had a couple of minor issues...he still signed off and told us what to correct. But he also looked at it the next time he was out to make sure I fixed it. Because I did what he said...he trusts me.

I can't speak for every part of the country, but where I live the inspectors are a good thing. If you don't know, it's ok to ask. They want to help you get it right.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
STAFF

Rewards Points: 30

Don't ever make one mad, they can give you fits. One way to deal with them is find out what they like to talk about like fishing, hunting or something, when you get to an area you are a little concerned about, really pour it on to get their attention away from that spot.lol

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I think how tough the are depends on how much the trust you and what the see as the competence level.

My inspectors are great. The ding me when necessary but also give me a lot of slack on things.

For example, when I was getting buy off on my electrical rough in, I had a couple of minor issues...he still signed off and told us what to correct. But he also looked at it the next time he was out to make sure I fixed it. Because I did what he said...he trusts me.

I can't speak for every part of the country, but where I live the inspectors are a good thing. If you don't know, it's ok to ask. They want to help you get it right.
This has been almost exactly my experience as well. My wife and I are in the final throes of building our log house by ourselves. After the first couple of inspections, after the guy saw we knew what we were doing, he was quite friendly and helpful. Being a former contractor, he even offered us his tools if we needed them.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

My experience was the process is a joke. The guy would tell me I needed to do stuff that I know was not the code and was not a good idea. Like they told me I needed to weld the screw on top of the screw jack posts in the basement. Then he would come and tell me something I the code required I do but he said I could skip it. It was pretty much whatever they felt like that day. And I didn't even do the work I just was the general contractor and hired subs to do everything.
msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaeger View Post
My experience was the process is a joke. The guy would tell me I needed to do stuff that I know was not the code and was not a good idea. Like they told me I needed to weld the screw on top of the screw jack posts in the basement. Then he would come and tell me something I the code required I do but he said I could skip it. It was pretty much whatever they felt like that day. And I didn't even do the work I just was the general contractor and hired subs to do everything.
It sounds like your experience was very different than most people's and may have become worse because you question what he asked. As far as the screw jack issue goes, many places do require that they be welded and many even before that they be installed with the screw on the bottom and that the screw be encased in concrete, so that was not unusual. Once they trust you, but it doesn't sound like ever happened in your case, most of them are very reasonable to say the least. I've questioned by contractor told me was a code requirement many times but never have questioned what an inspector said. Only question them when you have a copy of the applicable code section in front of you.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #8

My experiences have been very positive. Overall inspectors have been knowledgeable, reasonable, and extremely helpful. This doing major DIY projects (room additions, whole house remodel, garages, etc.) in three differing states over the years. I think a lot has to do with your attitude towards the job and the inspectors. They are a valuable resource and I use them as such and let them know I value their assistance.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 74

None, because my area is not that strict. Only time I would ever see them, is if I was doing some major structure remodeling on my place.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
registered

Rewards Points: 4

I know the building inspector in my town. He is a retired carpenter. Never had any problems. You just have to know "how to chew the fat"
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #11

My expeiences have been good. Like others have said, it helps to be able to talk to them and get to know them a bit. Otherwise, while I am sure there are idiots out there, most are reasonable and I would just suggest:
1) Don't try to get them to overlook or look past stuff. Your creative solution may just be a code violatiion to them.
2) Make sure you know what you are doing. They don't mind giving the odd tip, but they aren't there to teach you how to do it.
3) Don't get into arguments with them. Ask for clarification, code references, or details, sure. But it's hard to win a heated argument.
ptarmigan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 108

I think one could for the most part accurately say that an inspectors 'attitude' is in direct response to the homeowners attitude....

Same way with cops....it funny how some people seem to have bad experiences with cops....and others very good experiences......

It's been my 'experience' that how I treat someone is directly related to how they treat me.....want to be an a$$? Well, I'm not going to act like one....but I don't have to cut you any slack....I'm sure inspectors have the same issue.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Live_Oak (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 4

I might have told this story on here before, but my grandpa once had the plumbing in a MIL apartment he had failed because he DIYed it, so it wasn't done by a union plumber. This was in Everett, WA, which used to be a huge union town (still is, but not to that extent).

He had to pay a union plumber to come in, rip it out, and install it the same exact way he already had it.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 34

always be nice....and let them do their job....in other words don't tell them how to do their job just smile and shake your head ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post

Same way with cops....it funny how some people seem to have bad experiences with cops....and others very good experiences......
My experiences with police seemed to be directly related to the position they held. State cops have been fine in my experiences. Most municipal cops that I have came into contact with seemed as though they had something to prove.

venator260 is offline   Reply With Quote