DIY Tip Of The Day! - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 1,330
Lightbulb

DIY Tip of the Day!

Name:  diysmall.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  74.4 KB

What tips have you learned in your DIY experience that you wish you knew earlier? Let's learn from each other and share our tips! To keep this thread going come back each day to share a tip and read the latest posts.

Advertisement

Join DIY on Facebook today!
facebook.com/DIYChatroom
Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Administrator

DIY Tip of the Day!

To help get this started, I will go first...

I came across this tip on a super simple way to be able to tell if you have a water leak in your toilet tank.

Quote:
Water leaking from your toilet tank will not only cost you money when it comes to your utility bill, but it can also cause water damage to your bathroom floor and premature wear of your toilet’s internal workings. To find out whether your toilet tank is leaking, add some red food coloring to the water in the tank. Come back in about an hour and see if the water in the bowl is pink. If it is, you have a leak. http://www.moneycrashers.com/diy-hom...ce-tips-ideas/

Advertisement

facebook.com/DIYChatroom
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-21-2014), curtd (09-08-2014), Rasha (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

DIY Tip of the Day!

I saw this one just the other day.

When trying to paint a straight line using painters tape, after putting down the tape, paint the seam with the same color paint you are trying to protect.

Once that paint dries, go back and paint the other color you want.

The dried paint of the first color seals the seam and prevents bleed over.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Beccadp74 (09-26-2014), ben's plumbing (11-21-2014), Cricket (08-05-2014), Rasha (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Tip of the Day!

I don't even remember where I saw this tip, but it's made hanging pictures a million times easier.

Take a piece of paper the size of your frame (or tape pieces together to make a piece of paper the size of your frame). Then tape it to the back of the frame and use a pencil to mark where the back of your frame will need nails. Then take that paper off and hang it on your wall with tape, using a level to get it just right. Hammer in the nails right through the paper in the marked spots. Voila! Perfectly positioned nails for a level frame! Now you can take down the paper and put up the frame.
Rasha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rasha For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-21-2014), CraftyBobbie (12-01-2014), Cricket (08-05-2014), ddawg16 (08-05-2014), lugHead88 (08-06-2014), oh'mike (08-05-2014), r0ckstarr (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

DIY Tip of the Day!

Good first post Rash...and welcome to diy

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,806

DIY Tip of the Day!

If you get a black scuff mark on your Formica or HPL counter top, just rub it with a dab of plain caulk, it will remove the scuff mark.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-21-2014), Cricket (08-05-2014), oh'mike (08-05-2014), r0ckstarr (08-05-2014), yuri (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 552

DIY Tip of the Day!

Hear are a few from my journey specifically for people using this site......

LISTEN to those that have travelled the path before you (sometimes many times) You may be told the opposite of what you want to hear but 99% of the time the people here know what they are doing. The advice given here is often given from years of experience and at no charge and is priceless. The people here are willing to help and although you might not like the answer there is a REASON you are being given it.

Doing it yourself does not always save money.....sometimes you need to step back and get a professional in to do some work. Refusing to accept you are out of your league will cost you in the long run, and not just money but also in dangerous conditions for you and your family. Does not mean you are a failure and lots of times if they understand the project and what you are dealing with they will offer advice and guide you on your journey. Know when its time to get a professional in and if you are not sure ASK.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words. If you can, post a picture of your issue as sometimes what you are describing is the opposite of what people are thinking.

Search is your friend...most of the time the question you have asked has been asked before with really good information in the answers.

The most important THINK SAFETY!!.....your life is not worth a bandaid fix or a jerry rig. If you have family and you are doing DIY - YOU are responsible for your work!! Take the time to understand what you are doing and do it RIGHT not quick. Your family might depend on it.

WEAR YOUR DAM SAFETY GEAR and always test wiring before playing with electrickery!!

Robyn
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to forcedreno2012 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-21-2014), BigJim (08-05-2014), Cricket (08-05-2014), kwikfishron (08-05-2014), oh'mike (08-05-2014), RHeat (11-21-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
Administrator

DIY Tip of the Day!

Loose hinges drive me crazy so I was pleased to find this tip.

Quote:
On a Cabinet. Simply remove the small screw and plug the hole with a toothpick dipped in carpenter's glue. Let the glue dry, snap the toothpick flush with the surface, and reinsert the same screw. On a Door. Wedge a block of wood under the door's bottom outside corner. Unscrew and swing the loose hinge leaf to the side. Bore out the stripped hole with a ⅜-inch-diameter bit. Spread carpenter's glue onto a matching ⅜-inch-diameter wood dowel and tap it into the hole until it's flush with the jamb. When the glue dries, drill a pilot hole into the dowel and drive a new, longer screw home. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...924280,00.html

facebook.com/DIYChatroom
The Following User Says Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #9

DIY Tip of the Day!

For potted plants, I put window screen over the drainage holes, then I pile on sea shells (free from the beach!) then I fill with potting mix. This keeps the dirt in but provides good drainage for the plant.
Rasha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rasha For This Useful Post:
Cricket (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #10

DIY Tip of the Day!

You can clean copper with just a bit of ketchup and (I prefer) a green scrub sponge, the thin flat kind. the acid in the ketchup will cut right through all that green crud and make your copper shine like new. Your cat will love it too.
lugHead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lugHead88 For This Useful Post:
Cricket (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Administrator

DIY Tip of the Day!

I found this great tip on a blog...

Quote:
Always store your good paint brushes in the cardboard sleeves in which they came. Put the brushes carefully back in the sleeves right after cleaning while they’re still damp, and the ends will stay nice and sharp. I’ve stored some of my well-used Purdy paint brushes in their original sleeves for over twenty years, and they’re still good as new. http://www.myrepurposedlife.com/2014...-bloggers.html

facebook.com/DIYChatroom
Old 08-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,654

DIY Tip of the Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I found this great tip on a blog...
My wife likes to paint. I despise painting so my contribution is caring for the brushes in that very manor. I'd guess her expensive ( at the time ) sash brush she excels with when cutting in is nearly 20 years old. Excellent tip.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Cricket (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #13

DIY Tip of the Day!

For small cleaning tasks I find a coffee filter or two or 3 or 4 stacked work well. Nearly as tuff as a boot heel, lint free, disposable and from a renewable source.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Beccadp74 (09-26-2014), Cricket (08-06-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #14
Administrator

DIY Tip of the Day!

I found this tip on This Old House...

Quote:
Shorten your dryer-vent hose. First, disconnect it and vacuum it out. Then trim the hose length so that it's just long enough for you to pull the dryer a few feet out from the wall. A short and unobstructed line makes your dryer run more efficiently. Cost: Free. Savings: $25 a year on electric, gas, or propane. Bonus: Your clothes will dry about 20 percent faster. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...250928,00.html

facebook.com/DIYChatroom
Old 08-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #15

DIY Tip of the Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I found this tip on This Old House...
Thanks for the tip.

If I pull my dryer out from the wall 4" it's disconnected. I designed my house that way and my electric Maytag born in 1977appreciates it. It raised 3 kids that could change clothes 2 or 3 times / day depending on the sport and now doing duty for grand kids.

OH, bout forgot. It hasn't been without maintenance. We had to replace a limit switch 5 or 6 years ago. Dang it, a 12 dollar switch and a filter screen in 37 years.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Cricket (08-08-2014)