Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #1

Share |

DIY Professional assistance

My wife and I are going to do a major remodel and I am looking for consultantants/contractors that will guide us through the process. We intend to do most of the work ourselves but need help with permits, code compliance, etc. Can anyone recommend some resources in the San Francisco Bay Area? Thanks.

nicolsonapc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #2

I would recommend that you find a good marriage counselor first.

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #3

yikes!

haha
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
despriate4repairs

wow that was just mean TSCAR

I ditched the old project and desided to buy a new house. i am still working on closing in but look its so pretty! Good bye indiana! Texas i am coming home! http://picasaweb.google.com/lcdallas/StonecrestMar2007?authkey=uBdQZFC_Fnw
depriate4repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I would recommend that you find a good marriage counselor first.

Ha, ha....

Worked on a phase of rehabbing a beautiful victorian in Winthrop, MA right on the water (beach) about 4 years ago. Owners turned a run down dump into a palace. (at the cost of about 1/2 mill.) They had done 2 homes already. They hired a fulltime carpenter, and subs to do the job.
Wew.....the battles they would have.....
One day I hear him YELLING into his cell phone: SHUT-UP!, SHUT-UP!, Just stay OUT OF IT!! - He then procedes to throw the phone across the room ........... (He was 'talking' to his wife)
Saw them about 6 months ago. They are still married....but, man, what a strain that put on both of them.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-09-2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #6

Thanks for the sage advice. I will keep it under consideration.
nicolsonapc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #7

I wasn't trying to be mean, just making a funny. Good luck on your project.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I wasn't trying to be mean, just making a funny. Good luck on your project.
I knew what you meant...I thought it was funny.

(It was also funny in the movie: "The Money Pit")
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #9
Master Electrician

A couple, both good freinds of mine, and 2 of the most even-tempered people I ever met, almost broke up over redoing their house. House is done, they are still together, but there was strain on the relationship. Good thing they would use the electrician as a go-between at times!
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #10

lol,my husband and i just replaced alot of sideing and posts that had rotted,i had people out to price it but --some wouldent call me and others were to busy so we thought lets do it are selfs, we hung out at lowes in lala land with the wants--thinking wow we can do this and that lol. so we do both are jobs the sideing and posts, now this is what i did---SAT IN THE LAWN CHAIR DRINKING WINE WITH THE FOLKS ON ARE BLOCK LOL. now i wanted to help and i did give him the hammer and plug things in--but he would not let me do any of the fun stuff. louann
louann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #11

Three years ago, we hired a contractor to essentially build us a whole new house.

I have told my husband that I WILL NEVER RENOVATE OR BUILD WITH HIM AGAIN. We have two very different opinions when it comes to renovating and building.

This is why, I am renovating the basement, ALONE. He only comes down there when I demand he do so, and not any other times.
I have also told him that I want no opinions or advice.
(or I won't be so yummy )
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
General Contractor

What you can do, all kidding aside....go to a mom and pop style of lumber yard...not a big box store...and ask the guys at commercial sales to reccomend a retired builder/contractor to help you out. They would probably not cost you an arm and a leg, and the advice would be invaluable...not to mention they may referee the fights you will have.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #13

I can't help you with knowing anyone in San Francisco, but I can tell you that my wife and I have remodeled several houses including the one we live in now. This House took 3 1/2 years of working just on weekends. It's a two story and is over 100years old. We had to rebuild it from the ground up. I know this has nothing to do with your question, but because they were alot replys about a husband and wife taking on this type of project, I felt I needed to add a positive note.
My wife and I have always been close, but I Don't think there's anything we have done that brought us closer than the remodeling of this house. As I said we worked just about every weekend for over 3 years and had a great time. Sure there were times I wanted to burn it down, but the wife would always know what to say and when to say it. The house turned out beautiful and I could make several hundred thousand off of it today if I choose to do so. If the right one comes along at the right price, we would sell and do it again. We are both retired now, so we could work on it everyday.
So I hope you get the information you need, and you and your wife get to experience the joys of remodeling a home together.
Billy_1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #14

Nic - My friend Richard Morrison, AIA, ASID, is a Menlo Park based architect and interior designer, and past President of the California Peninsula Chapter of the American Society of Interior Designers. He teaches a half day course on remodeling at the Palo Alto Adult School. Next session is this Sat, Apr 28; attendance is only $39.

see http://www.paadultschool.org/html/home_improvement.html

and http://www.architectureweek.com/dire...firms.cgi?2838

He and I were childhood friends. I'm sure Richard could help guide you through this process. Please tell him his friend Rich (aka Lun Tha and Snoopy) said "hello". REgards

RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote