DIY Power Washer? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY power washer?

I have got a spare lawn mower engine that I am rebuilding right now for a hobby. I was thinking of using it as a DIY power washer. I have seen Briggs & Stratton makes really simple ones. That's kinda what I like. What should I be putting on a crankshaft? I need some sort of a small tank just to balance the pressure, right? I have the hose and a nozzle from our old electric power washer that broke. Can I reuse any of the parts or try to modify them so they will fit?

Thanks!

Advertisement

gybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

DIY power washer?

First locate the nearest emergency room, then proceed at will.

Advertisement

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #3

DIY power washer?

Excuse me? Is this some kind of a forum where you teach kids 'lefty-loosy righty-tighty'? What's so dangerous about it? Maybe a hydrolock?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

DIY power washer?

Ayuh,.....

About the only Problem I see with your project is,.......

A Replacement Pressure Pump will set you back about as much as a Complete Power Washer will.......
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

DIY power washer?

I have an electric Karcher upright ($200) that I use for small powerwashing jobs in my business and although I've added some accessories along the way, I agree that a new unit out-of-the-box and with a warranty might be a more appropriate way to go, gas or electric. If you're going to be an occasional homeowner powerwasher, there are even smaller and less expensive good electrics out there to look at.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #6

DIY power washer?

It sounds like a fine project, but you'll need to buy or find a pump to attach to the motor. Unless you're really into engineering and complex machining, you're not going to build your own linkage and pressure pumps.

If you can locate a pressure washer with a busted motor, then you can probably make it fit your motor, or you can just rebuild the motor that's on the pressure washer.

Buying a new pump, and making a housing, getting all the right fittings, etc etc would probably be way more expensive and frustrating than buying new.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #7

DIY power washer?

Basically I was thinking of putting this motor on the mower because I have got all the parts I needed for only $20 and I am actually doing a complete overhaul (without new piston, valves and rod), so it's cheap for me. I know that after I put this engine on the mower the other one will start to lay around, days will pass by and I will be thinking how to use it. I really hate having usable things laying around me if they are unproductional at all time.

I was thinking about this setup... takin a centrifugal wheel from my old car's water pump, my neighbour is a wonder maker, when it comes to metal working, welding, machining, grinding and he's doing it since he was 7, so he would be responsible for the tank. I have two major concerns this far... how to seal the tank at the crankshaft and how to properly balance the centrifugal wheel.
The principle is pretty basic at power washers, the thing is that we have a constant piping pressure of 6 bars, I just need to boost the thing up a bit so I can wash my car and things like this. :D The pump itself isn't really a pump. It just vents and stirrs water a bit as computer fans only mixes air more than it is cooling. It's actually the nozzly that makes all the wonder.

But yeah first I'll have to do the engine overhaul part.

As for my second message goes - I am sorry for my action, I am European and in the end I thought I have come to some conservative place where only grandpa's preach how to do things. But now I see people are really into. Well I just might post some pictures in later time when I finish my work.

Happy motoring and fixin'!
Old 01-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #8

DIY power washer?

Oh yes I need to repeat this one... Briggs & Stratton also makes power washers with lawn mower engines (only the layout is different). Maybe I should check ebay about those and maybe there are any bolt-ons.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
remodeling pro

DIY power washer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gybe View Post
Excuse me? Is this some kind of a forum where you teach kids 'lefty-loosy righty-tighty'? What's so dangerous about it? Maybe a hydrolock?
Sorry, I was not trying to insult you, just impress that anytime you are trying to DIY build a device that produces a couple thousand PSI, danger is only a step behind. If you really want to build, buy the pump and valve body, and safety valves from a reputable supplier who can give you properly matched equipment, and something the engine you have will satisfactorily power. I agree with other post , that after buying quality parts for the power system and other miscellanous stuff to fab a cart, you are not going to save much money, and will most likely have a piece of equipment that still performs far below your expectations.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

DIY power washer?

I have whats called a 'Thunder Gun' all it is as a wand,hand held tubing that plugs into an air compressor AND a water hose and you would be real surprised how much cleaning effort that gives,zero moving parts. I would think an electric motor would be BETTER than a gas motor because of noise factor,,,unless you are wanting it for a 'remote' no elec. location!!
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #11

DIY power washer?

Hey, I play guitar for 10 years now and noise was never a problem. Neighbours aren't that close.

But anyway at daylight everybody does their job so no one really bothers anyone here if it's not for any stupid or sick behaving.
Also we are not allowed to have guns, you know. :D We just fistfight!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #12

DIY power washer?

Oh, I forgot... the electric one is a screamer. It has a really annoying constant plastic frequency anway... and it vibrates plus there's one gasket on the pressure valve that will always leak. I am not a panic person but usually when I was washing something I was extra concerned what might happen. Electric shock can come in a fracture of a second, but small parts that are fallin around can hurt you only one way. Of course there are many exceptions to this theory in life, but in this case none.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,274

DIY power washer?

Gybe, please do post pictures when you get it done.

So only the rich folks get to go hunting? What a shame. Any bowhunters over there?
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #14

DIY power washer?

Electric pressure washers and almost ANY pressure washer your going to find at a big box store are not going to last. Most of them have a 100 hour life span before the major components start to fail. I know this won't be a popular post but I've been pressure washing for almost 18 years and I've seen thousands of people throw these things in the trash and hire one of my companies to do the job.

If you just "have" to do it youself, visit a local pressure washing supply store like Sun Brite Supply in Maryland. Or visit their online store at www.sunbritesupply.com and read some of the guides and manuals they have on how to choose the right pressure washer. Most people don't realize just how much damage can be done with a pressure washer, to thier property, or to themselves!!! 3,000 PSI can easily cut through skin!
HenryBockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #15

DIY power washer?

With my electric power washer I even managed to scrape off a bit of finish on my car and that hurt a lot...

Advertisement