DIY Home Security System (suggestions Needed) - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 270

DIY Home Security System (suggestions needed)

Hi,

Looking to install a home security system in my house, not looking to get a monitoring service. I have looked around and have really only found wireless DIY systems. Would really like a wired system. Anyone have any suggestions?

Probably looking to do 2-3 motion detectors and 4 door magnets.

Regards

Advertisement

tigerbalm2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,436

Get a dog. We have a Golden Retriever that when she sees someone she thinks is not her friend, she will change her tone. She has chased many a person out of our back alley before they realized what kind of dog she was. If you can't have a dog, smarthome.com has some systems on there, along with Internet accessible & cellular types. It really depends on how deep your wallet is, and what all you want it to do, besides guarding the doors & access points.

Really the best thing to do, is go outside and look at the structure for stuff that is piled against the walls giving access to upper floors, or points that someone can use something to get in. Doors, pull one screw out of each hinge, and insert 3" screws, dead bolt do the same. Windows, I use a piece of wood molding that I place in my kitchen when we open it, so it is only open around 4" to get air in when we do not run the ac at night. Back door, I placed some wood on our glass to keep people from breaking it and trying to reach in to turn the deadbolt. You look at it from the point of what someone would look at to get in.

Get some signs either stating a dog is in the house and that there may be an alarm guarding the structure. Then you have time to work on what you want for giving you notice if something happens.

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,204

Is yours an existing house, or new construction? Many years ago I installed a wired system in my house while it was under construction (before the drywall was installed). Even that was a chore. My system came from Radio Shack though I don't think they sell alarm systems any more.

My subsequent systems (three or four in different houses) have all be wireless. You really should reconsider your choice. With today's technology, the batteries in a wireless system last a very long time.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Is yours an existing house, or new construction? Many years ago I installed a wired system in my house while it was under construction (before the drywall was installed). Even that was a chore. My system came from Radio Shack though I don't think they sell alarm systems any more.

My subsequent systems (three or four in different houses) have all be wireless. You really should reconsider your choice. With today's technology, the batteries in a wireless system last a very long time.
Existing. What happens when the batteries die? Alarm goes off? Or sensors wont work?
How about false alarms due to frequency disruption?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

It will chirp like a smoke detector, some will tell you on the panel, or if connected to your home LAN, it can tell you. The cellular types will send a SMS message on alarms, etc. False alarms happen with every system. They are only as good as the people that install & maintain them.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It will chirp like a smoke detector, some will tell you on the panel, or if connected to your home LAN, it can tell you. The cellular types will send a SMS message on alarms, etc. False alarms happen with every system. They are only as good as the people that install & maintain them.

Anyone have any brand recommendations? I checked out AAS Bulldog and found a lot of negative reviews. As well, I looked at smarthome.com but there are so many choose from.....
Old 05-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Look at the systems on Smarthome.com. Really all the same, with different features which add costs. The reviews usually are one sided, and pointed more towards on-going contract, install & sales. If you do it yourself, you only have yourself to blame for how it goes.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm2424 View Post
Existing. What happens when the batteries die? Alarm goes off? Or sensors wont work?
How about false alarms due to frequency disruption?
Depends on the system. Every system I've owned has been a different brand. Some chirp; some show a code on the display.

I have never had a false alarm from frequency disruption. Only several "accidentals" from forgetting the thing was set. Also one or two from a motion detector sensing a curtain blowing in the wind.

The only system I ever had a problem with was the wired one. Lightning hit very close to the house and fried some of the wiring.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Look into Honeywell/Ademco, DSC, or GE for a professional system.

These are readily available online for the DIYer, priced well, and there are some great forums available to assist you with the install (as the manufacturers will not work with the end user on professional equipment)

I would be happy to help you if needed...

Jim
Security101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:40 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Get a dog.
A friend grabbed sound effects of junkyard dogs and so forth and had the recording played when the doorbell was pushed. I guess he had a repeating CD or something he let play when he traveled.

Pro house thieves can be in and out of a home, having cleaned much of it out, during the wait period you need to disarm the system. People tend to store or hide things of value in the same clever places.

Cleaning up hiding places around the home perimeter is a great idea. If you are redoing landscaping? Snap out of the concept of plunking planting/hiding places up against the house. Add lighting, perhaps some of it on motion sensors.

Watchful but non-nosy neighbors are good. Professional house sitting organizations have fairly rigid application, approval and placement practices and their members are bonded.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

We have both a DIY alarm as well as a dog.

Added bonus is that the dog really does not like the alarm when it goes off so if you enter the house and it is armed it gives you the warning beep for 30 sec and no matter who enters the house the dog comes running and growling and barking, it's only at the last second you realize he is not heading for you. He stops and the alarm panel and growls at it until you shut it off.

Best bet is doing some type of DIY camera install. at least if you get a pic you have a better chance of getting your stuff back. i have found that thieves are long gone before anybody shows up with monitored systems, and they won't exactly bring out the CSI team to track down the thief. You don't even needs lots of camera's just one well placed camera in the same room you keep your most valuables.

Advertisement

linuxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote