DIY Foundation Wall Anchor??? For My Bowing Wall - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

DIY foundation wall anchor??? For my bowing wall

Has anyone ever done something like this on their own?

I remember my Grandma had her garage wall fixed by this company.
http://www.matthewswallanchor.com/fo...all-anchor.htm

It now needs done to my fathers house because the rear wall of the foundation is bowing pretty good. Probably a couple inches at least.

So besides having to get a buddy to dig a trench along the rear of the house(it's all underground) how hard could this be?

Dig trench, drill ~10-12 holes through the block about 1/2 way up or wherever it's bowing the most, slide 3/4" all-thread through the holes from the basment and garage, put plates on both ends, fill in trench, and start tightening.

I have 3 concerns:

The 1st isn't much a concern as it is a pain in the ass. There is patio out back about 14' wide and about 1/3 the length of the house. So I'd have to dig the trench out far and get some really long and more expensive all-thread or tear out the patio. I think I'd rather get some 16' all-thread.

The 2nd concern is how should I attach the all-thread to the plate in the trench? Just a nut on each side tightened against the plate? I obviously won't want the threads to just spin through the plate.

The 3rd concern is what is going to stop the outside plate in the trench from spinning. I see in that photo in the link above they use some kind of cleats. What if I put a long bar between pairs of anchors and bolt them to each plate? That is my idea.

Any thoughts on where to get the hardware? Mainly the all-thread and nuts & washers. My neighbor owns a machine shop so I might ask him. Also, what would be the best tool or drill/bit to get through the block?

What are your thoughts on doing this myself?

Thanks,

-Erik

Advertisement

housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,472

would rather see you install wall pins as shown on our w/site,,, no digging involved - just 1 hole in the block cell, some rebar, & pourable 12,000# grout,,, much easier than digging & placing deadmen which can move as soils also soften from water.

when excavating, be mindful of SAFETY,,, if you're excavation is 8' deep, you can only work in a 4' trench,,, the rest of the trench ( 4' ) must, by law, be sloped 1':1' - even more IF soils are poor,,, but, then again, its NOT men OR MY friends shoring can/may be also included,,, most contractors have experience, knowledge, proper tools, license(s), AND insurance,,, you, on the other hand, have none.

typically, all-thread has insufficient strength,,, special steel, nuts, & threads are used,,, often a contractor will need a professional stamp on drawings, too,,, if you don't know what bit or drill to use, you can guess my thoughts on this being a diy project,,, 1 final thought, tho - how do you know this is the correct method to use at all ? ? ? ?

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

As far as excavating, I have a buddy that would do that for free, he has all the equipment and knowledge to do so. But if I don't need to excavate at all that would be fantastic!

As for what method I know is correct... I don't. I just know that it needs fixed. I'm pretty sure I know why the wall bowed and have done some work to prevent it from getting any worse. Now I would like to know if and how the wall should be stabilized or straightened.

The wall pins look like another good option. Could you explain how they are installed? I assume you are recommending the steel beam wall pins pictured on your site under the waterproofing link and not the invisible pins. How are those pins anchored at the top and bottom and do they do anything to straighten the wall or just prevent it from getting worse?

As for the drill I would assume a hammer drill with a masonry bit. I have used just a masonry bit in a regular drill before and it doesn't do much.
housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,472

think how your house'll look when you try to sell it & any prospective buyer sees steel i-beams holding back your foundation wall(s) not a good selling point you'll agree,,, that's why the invisible pins are better im-n-s-h-fo it also may be stabilization will be too late - an example will be the horizontal cracks in the mortar joints.

steel i'beams are set into wet conc foundations & bolted to transfer plates which are, in turn, attached to floor joists w/lag screws,,, i dislike this method as any force is then transferred to the main floor much as a lever & fulcrum.

as part of any wall stabilization process, waterproofing is always recommended,,, you should realize none of these ' repairs ' are a substitute for complete wall replacement however the grout columns are a much better choice & we will build both.

carbide bits - bosch bulldog - sds chuck,,, rent it,,, as for a recommended method, ask a structural pe,,, well worth the $$$ as no one on this forum can see your house from our houses
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote