Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #1

Share |

DIY Crawl Space Renovation?

Hello everyone,

I recently moved back to my family's old house (we rented out for a while, now I'm back) and the thing with this house is it was build in the 40's I think (I'll get back to you guys when I verify), and I don't think the crawl space has ever been cleaned. Last time I was down there was 5+ years ago, and I remember it being some kind of grey dust/dirt all over the place mixed in with broken concrete, pipes of varying elevation that needed some serous exercise to get around, etc. Apart from that, there was no insulation under the floor, and there is no grounding wires (the 3rd, round pin in the middle on wall power sockets) anywhere in the house. Additionally, the tenant took the liberty of routing in a bunch of ethernet and cable tv wires throughout the house, and didn't even bother to pull them up a couple feet to make nice, clean wall sockets (he just drilled holes in my hardwood oak floors and pulled them up).

I am definitely planning on rerouting the wires, putting up floor insulation, and maybe reorganizing the water pipes a bit. I was wondering if anyone on here had any ideas what to do about cleaning out the mess? I mean it's FILTHY down there, I'm afraid with all that dirt flying around, the fiberglass mats will just clog up and become useless relatively fast.

Before anyone suggests any kind of companies/services, I'd like to repeat that I will do this myself. I recently had some work done on my sister's house, and I was astonished at the high rates, and lack of quality labor and product, from several respectable, nation-wide companies. I neither want to, nor can I afford to go through all of that again.

mishaparem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #2

knowing your location's always a help

1st, how much headroom do you have ? cleaning out all the accumulated trash is usually 1st on everyone's list any water intrusion problems should be 2nd.

then address insulation installation, misc drooping wiring, etc,,, you mention'd dirt flying around - how's that happen if its a crawl space & no one's disturbing anything ? ? ?

current thinking's no vented crawl spaces however i like powered vents hook'd up to controlling humidistats for them,,, wait another 10 yrs & the current thinking will again be vented spaces,,, i don't think anyone really knows wtf to do w/'em,,, i do know crawlspaces aren't something that heals itself

there's a cure for high $$$ - walk away,,, lack of quality finished work also has a cure,,, you never pay til the work is completed according to contract,,, the whole thing's call'd ' experience ' & most of us eventually pay for it as did you now that you know the what & how, this should make it much easier for you to git 'er done

good luck ! ! !

good

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #3

I'm located in California, by 'dirt flying around' I mean, I have vents, and the crawlspace is super dirty. a breeze through the vents will pick up dust, not a lot, but it'll quickly get absorbed by fiberglass mats.

I have about 2-3ft of head room. Not much decorating to be done, but that's not really what I'm after anyhow. Right now I dread going down there for the simple fact that I know my family has dumped tons of insecticides down there (when we first moved in ~20 years ago, we had bug problems) so there are cans, bait traps, spikes, etc down there. In addition to bugs, we also had rodents, so we would throw rodent poison down there as well, and I know more than a few rodents have died and rotted down there because of the smell of decomposing rodents that would sometimes seep up through the floor. I want to clean up the mess of all the insecticides and rodents, then somehow cover up the dirt so that the rodents don't find the underside of my house as cozy. Concrete would be impractical and/or expensive, wood and organics would rot, so what's left?
mishaparem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Wire Chewer

I see a crawlspace as a basement, just lower headroom. Treat it as such. Seal that up nicely from the outside, clean up all the spiderwebs and other crap, and use it for storage or other uses. Be sure there is return/supply air to it. Good idea to insulate too. I started framing mine and will get it spray foamed. If cleaned up it makes a great place for storage. Going to put dricore in mine actually, since the concrete floor is rough and very dusty and uncleanable.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #5

My situation sounds very similar. In a couple months we are moving into a family home with nearly identical history. Family home, former rental, lots of things to fix, dealing with lots of bug poison, former rodent problem, the whole nine yards. Keep us updated on how you tackle this.
Catdaddyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #6

there's always an excuse to not do something now you know why its expensive,,, let alone the disposable coveralls, hats, & organic masks, there's no efficiency,,, IF you were to hire a contractor, he'd have to use approved disposal methods & hazardous mtls handlers,,, you, as a h/o, can just throw it in the trash

stego is the membrane we use - crosslink'd, 15mm, avail from any const supply house,,, stay away from the apron/vest stores - they just have cheap **** that won't last

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #7

It's a very worthwhile project, but I highly recommend encapsulating the crawlspace before you bother with insulation. There are some websites that specialize in selling heavy duty membranes and tapes or caulks.

California is a relatively dry climate which is a big help, but first find out if you have any water issues in the crawlspace and develop a plan to deal with them.

If you do decide to insulate the floor joists it will be a lot easier and effective to do it after you have the vapor barrier down.

walkman is offline   Reply With Quote