Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Dishwasher installation

Howdy, new guy here. Hope it is ok to put this question here as it covers dishwasher electrical, plumbing and general code.

Current situation:
Need to replace very old GE dishwasher (built-in)

- Distance from dishwasher to disposal is 120" (along hose routing). The routing goes through one cabinet directly adjacent to the dishwasher, then around a corner and through one more cabinet before going into the under sink area.

- Current supply line is copper plumbed off the hot water under the sink

- Current drain line is 5/8 rubber hose plumbed to the disposal run high under counter before diving down to disposal.

- Current electrical is hardwired romex, which I believe to be on a dedicated circuit but I need to verify this tomorrow. 20amp circuit no gfci breaker (or outlet obviously)

- Disposal electrical is wall switched

My first question is what is the best way to go about getting copy's of the applicable codes for WA state, snohomish county, unincorporated, outside of any city limits? While I do my own work for the most part, I do like to make sure it is to code. I put in a shop building and did the electrical (except for main panel) using a code book from the electrical supply store and the electrical inspector seems pleased with the work.

I don't however have any sort of code book for plumbing and the little electrical book is pretty old so don't know if it is still applicable. In short, I would like to get the proper code books or look it up online, or whatever is the best method?

Second question has to do with the drain line for the dishwasher. When looking at new dishwashers in the store the other day there was a small clear plastic flex hose in the install kit which I assume is the drain hose. This hose seemed pretty wimpy compared to the rubber hose that is currently installed in the house, not to mention it is way too short. Can you still get the rubber drain hose in bulk lengths and can they be connected to these new diswashers?

Third question has to do with the supply line which is currently some stout looking copper line. Should this be replaced with braided hose? Seems like that would make installation easier? There sure doesn't look like there is much room underneath these new dishwashers? I assume that is why I see references to taping the supply and electrical lines down on the floor and connecting them while the machine is out of the cabinet? Theory being once they are connected you can slide the unit back into the cabinet while at the same time guiding the lines through the adjacent cabinets?

Fourth question has to do with the electrical. I assume that the dishwasher needs to be on some sort of gfci circuit or outlet? Does it need to be switched or disconnectable at or near the dishwasher?

Appreciate any input folks might have.

Andy

Andy Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

Dishwasher installation

In part this is determined by the manufacture's installation instructions, which will list (for example) maximum drain line length and material requirements (typically, "meets AHAM/APMO standards").

Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Dishwasher installation

Andy: on the copper line, does it run direct to the dishwasher? If so most likely is soft copper and about 3/8" OD. You should be able to get a threaded adapter to run flex from this line. IF and this is a big IF the inlet on the new dw is on same side as old then you should be able to just unscrew the right angle fitting off the old and screw it on the new and just use the setup that is there. Yes you should be able to get new hose for the drain IF IT needs it, all you need to do is undo the clamp on the new machine pull the hose off and put old hose to the new one and re clamp it. Electrical sounds fine
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Dishwasher installation

I can only speak for the electrical so here goes: No GFCI protection required.

422.31(B) For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 VA or 1/8 HP, the branch circuit switch or breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker and remain in place with or without the lock installed.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote