Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #1

Share |

Disgusted in FL, shed

I went and looked at a couple Lee county FL approved pre fabbed sheds and decided I could do a much better job for 1/3 the $$$. I went to town hall to get a permit. They even gave me a set of plans!!! OK for skids the pre fab's use 2 PT 4X4, the homeowner has to use 3 PT 6X6!!! The Prefab's use 2X6 for the floor, the homeowner has to use 2X8. The prefabs use aluminum or steel sideing screwed to 2X4. I have to use 1/2 inch plywood sheer panels at each corner nailed every 4 inches with double 2X4 at the end of each panel. Tthe prefabs use a 2 foot hurricane anchor, I have to use a 4 foot anchor.

Plus I cannot understand some parts of the plans. Whats a guy to do??

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjrbus For This Useful Post:
project.princes (05-28-2014)
Old 08-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Man of many hats

Disgusted in FL, shed

I understand your pain. Here in NW Fla, we deal with similar codes that do not seem to reflect the best interest of the homeowner, but yet must be followed. As stated in a past post, I installed 32 double hung, double pane vinyl windows (and two sliding glass doors) in a three story house near the beach here in Pensacola... Hurricane Ivan came through and wiped out a good part of all houses near the beach. This house suffered ONE cracked pane of glass on the third floor where a pine tree hit the house but the rest was safe. Yet, two years later the insurance companies lobbied the state to make law that anyone that replaces windows must either have 'hurricane glass' or similar windows installed with a hurricane shutter system. While this seems like a good plan to reduce claims, what it really does is prevent those on lower or fixed incomes (retirees) from upgrading their single pane aluminum windows to something safer and more efficient.
Unfortunately, in your case, I think that the cheaper route is taking the lesser building that has been approved, though I would opt for building my own under the current code and KNOW that it is better, stronger, and YOU did it yourself!
Oft times, stricter requirements are set forth for home owners to ensure that safety and reliability is met. This isn't a bad thing, but definetly will add to your budget.
FMTCW, I would go ahead and build my own... it will be stronger and made the way YOU want it.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #3

Disgusted in FL, shed

Thanks Wrangler. It would seem that the shed industry has a much stronger lobby than DIYers!!

If I could muddle my way through the code, I might try to build my own. Even the overbuilding they require would still come out cheaper.. I am looking at a 12x20 foot shed. The cost of a crappy prefab is $4500, a worse than crappy is $3600, I wont count the $36oo shed as I would keep my items in garbage bags first. I figure $3000 maximum for a DIY shed.

Its looking at the plans they have given me that is a big problem, I do not understand what they want. I'm not real sure they know what they want!!

My other option is an old school bus, I live in an unincorporated area so as long as I keep it registered it would be legal!!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #4

Disgusted in FL, shed

Are the plans what they require you to go by?
Or just plans that they hand out as an example?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #5

Disgusted in FL, shed

They are the actual plans you must go by. They have 6 sets of plans available 3 for masonary and 3 for wood. Anything else you must have drawn up and approved.

I was poking around on the net and found a set of plans for Osceola FL building dep. Limited to one size but very clear very well done.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Disgusted in FL, shed

The local codes are just the minimum you must do to be legal, but not necesslarilly (sp?) the best way for your location. The budging plans are for the shed and do not reflect the local conditions.

What if your perfectly good shed was picked up and blown into an adjacent home causing damage? Will your or his insurance cover the damage?

Just take a look at the coastal requirements for new or replacement garage doors that were changed to save the roof of the home they are installed in. - Same doors different locations.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #7

Disgusted in FL, shed

Sounds like they really make you jump through hoops down there. I live in the mountains of Virginia and donít even have to get a permit for a non permanent structure under a certain square footage. I guess there are advantages to living out here in the sticks. Good Luck!

Kris
www.buildashedhouse.com
kschmandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #8

Disgusted in FL, shed

What has me ticked off is I have to build a very strong structure while the prefabber's can sell real pieces of . Lets start at the bottom. The Skids. The prefabbed can use 2 PT 4X4's I have to use 3 PT6X6's A 4X4 here is about $7 a 6X6 is almost $20. For the shed I want that is $35 vs $100 .
There is NO rational explanation for the difference. Some one should be tarred and feathered and run outta town!!!!
Jim
Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Theres more then one way.

Disgusted in FL, shed

Can you post a picture of the plans (dont know if thats legal or not) ?
Maybe you are reading the prints wrong, and there are options (use one of "these" instead or two of "those") ?

In my head, i would agree, this makes no logical sence unless theres a bunch of red tape somewhere.
If you where to buy a shed - would that shed you bought have to meet these standard and the places around there are just selling crap (which no one gets inspected after they are bought and placed in the yard) ? I dout the stores care about code.
I would think (and by the sounds of things im probly wrong), but i cant picture Homedepot carrying a shed designed for each states code requirements, hence, what they are selling would not be legal for your area ??

Did you run the construction of the pre-fab sheds by the inspector and ask for an explanation ?

_

My current learning experience - 22x22 addition - Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #10

Disgusted in FL, shed

I caved in and bought a crappy prefab. I bought a used Ted shed 12X24 with garage type door and man door, delivered, permitted, setup and tax for $3000. The option was hire a FL licensed engineer to draw up plans and stamp them. Then I could build a piece of junk, just like the prefabbers.

JIm
Old 04-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #11

Disgusted in FL, shed

Thats a bummer. my pool cabana was 10x12
I added on 10x10 for maybe $3-400
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #12

Disgusted in FL, shed

Well here it is 4 years later and I'm doing a websearch on sheds in FL for the new house I'm in.

Anyone come up with some solutions in SW Florida? JIm
Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #13

Disgusted in FL, shed

Welcome to Fla. I live in Marion Cty To build a workshop I have to have engineered drawings and pull a dozen permits. The pre fabs don't need any because they are on skids and are therefore considered mobile. Its just like the mobile homes if you have ever worked on some and have seen the shoddy elel. work and framing you have to wonder how they got past inspection if you did the same you would be shut down.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #14

Disgusted in FL, shed

Living in Paradise has it's disadvantages.

The prefabs do have an engineers stamp and are permitted, here in Lee county anyway.

So what you need is a broken down old engineer who has kept his license current. Draw up a cardboard and tin can structure held together with duct tape, have him stamp it and you are good to go!

Late into the night after finding this old thread in my search I stumbled on another site that may be of help.

http://alexpb.com/notes/articles/201...ee-shed-plans/

It is FL approved shed plans.

Hope this helps someone. JIm
Old 04-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #15

Disgusted in FL, shed

my guess is a shed company got a hold of the County seat and set these rules in place to make home owners have to chose a prefrab.

redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote