Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Direct Vent Gas Fireplace

I have been looking into getting a direct vent gas fireplace, and framing it into a chimney bulkhead.

One fireplace/chimney company quoted me 2500-4000k for the unit, and venting installed. Seemed high but I need to do some more research.

I am wondering what I should be looking for, in such a unit.

Suggestions?

troyce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Make sure they're using a quality name brand, a licensed plumber to make the gas connections, a licensed electrician to hook up the electrical, and above all make sure they're pulling a permit to do this sort of work. There is too much that can be done wrong and put you and your home's safety at risk, so having the work inspected is very important.

Fireplace units range from a few hundred up to a few thousand, just for the part. Depends on features, quality, configuration and size.

Get a number of bids. Also be sure that you can visit a showroom and see them operating before choosing which one.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

We have 2, one is a freestanding "stove" and one is an insert into the existing firebox. I LOVE them but I agree with above poster, choose the right installer and pick a well know name brand stove so if down the line, you need a replacement part, you will be able to get it.

Lots of options to choose from depending on your needs but I can tell you I love having the blower-yep, that is optional. The blower circulates the heat throughout the house and is nice to have. It can be turned on or off and ours is not noisy at all but others tell us theirs is terrible. I don't know what makes ours quiet and theirs so loud though. One has a thermostat and the other has a remote control. If I had to do it again, I'd get the remote for both. The remote has a temp setting as well as a timer so while the thermostat does kick in at the required temp, it is much easier and nicer to use the remote. Also if getting a thermostat, be sure not to put it too close to the stove. Ours is actually in an adjacent room although open, it works nice to not cut off before that whole area is warm.

We've had ours for a long time now but I think they were both around $2500 way back when so the price does not seem out of line but we got several bids making sure we were comparing apples to apples. Good luck, you will love it and surprisingly, we never use the whole house heat anymore and since the gas is a lot cheaper than electric, it helps keep our bills lower.
fidoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

I will be getting one to insert into the wood burning tin firebox with a tin chimney.

I went to several dealers that each had several national lines and 10 or 15 set-up and operating. - Done to show off the different faceplates.

Mine will have fans and a remote control and a thermostat. All installed using a licensed pipe fitter (required by the suburb and myself). The prices were similar. All about $2800, although they usually have some kind of gimmick like a lower price without installation or a higher price with no interest for a year or two.

Around here, converting away from wood burners is very common because of the control, problems and hidden costs of woodburning.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote