DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Direct Vent Fireplace (Winterizing)

15K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  DangerMouse 
#1 · (Edited)
My title doesn't sound right does it? But it's accurate...

Yesterday it was considerably windy here in the midwest U.S. and we were getting a whole lot of wind penetration in and through our direct vent fireplace. If it weren't for the nice focal point of the family room, I'd remove it. Some readings I've found even consider that a fireplace removes heat from a room.

But back at the subject at hand. As of yesterday and all the wind, I relied on how I fixed things last here. I took some 1" foamboard and inserted it in front of the glass bringing it flush with the tile surround and duct taping it firmly in place. Now the focal point becomes more of an eye sore. (Picture to follow...)

My question are:
Is this normal to a degree? Will some wind leak through the fireplace chimney? Picture attached is that of the exterior of our house where the fireplace is built out. Is there a better option to the exterior "shroud" found in the picture?

I've removed the 4 screws in each corner and could not remove it to troubleshoot further. I'm also unaware of how thoroughly insulated this build out is. I can confirm that there is drywall in the inner wall and that I've completely sealed and insulated the bottom (rim joist) with 4" of foamboard and 6" of fiberglass. Bottom of this build out is exposed to the outside, just above the foundation...extended at floor level.

Any insight will be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
is your damper damaged? that should have cut off most of the updraft. and yes, if there's no fire in the box, they can suck warm air from the home if not dampered or shut tight in the case of a woodstove, i should imagine.

DM

#3 ·
If I can't seal the problem, I've even considered a wider oak covering over the 1" foamboard and trimming it out similarly to match. I should mention that the foamboard is covering glass & some horizontal louvers. From these louvered areas are where the drafts can be felt. This is how I've considered attaching the oak/insulation cover. By possible inserting a "L" shaped fastening through the cover and through the louver. Turning the fastener to catch behind it. Hopefully not damaging the louver by trying to maintain a tight fit. I could also put some sort of weatherstripping around the larger oak cover.

Another concept over the oak covering would be a lesser expensive wood and covering it with a quilt and then some minor oak trimming.

But all of this is secondary if I can accurately rectify the existing problem.

#5 ·
now THAT i'm not sure of. never seen one before. but it'd be inside the fireplace. probably 2 chains hanging in there. open it up and look up inside. if there, close the damper tight and between that and the glass doors, it should be pretty tight. check gaskets on glass doors too. also, if you leave that duct tape on it for a season, you'll likely need lighter fluid or goo-gone type product to remove adhesive.

DM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.