Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Dimensionally inconsistent shelving

I am in possession of several units of Whitmor 6060-267 chrome finish wire shelving units. There has been some difficulty re-assembling these units after transport.

Superficially there is no visible problem. Each shelf appears to be the same size and shape. Verification using a tape measure shows each shelf, measured edge-to-edge just behind the round connectors for slipping over the poles, has a width of exactly 35.5 inches. Units are consistently flat, showing no sign of warping.

Shelving units generally assemble well; however one unit fails to accept more than three shelves in any configuration. Measurement and physical side-by-side comparison of the shelves shows they are the exact same size. Attempting to place the fourth shelf over the poles on top presents difficulty: The shelf is a full two (2) inches shorter in width than necessary to overlay the poles.

Measurements show that, physically, the shelf is the correct size for placement; however no shelf used out of an assortment of six identical units has fit overtop without forcing the unit by flexing the poles inward. This works as expected when attempting to fit a too-small shelf on such a unit, producing excess friction and requiring additional force to push the shelf down; however the shelf measures the proper size, same as all other shelves, to fit over the poles.

Has anyone else had this happen with Whitmor 6060-297 chrome finished wire shelves?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

I have 6 or 8 of the black finish shelves. Don't know if they are the same manufacturer or not.
Did you check and make sure the other shelves are seated properly?
This was the biggest problem I had.

Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

they're easy to seat properly 'cause the poles are crudely marked (double rings every 5 rings) and you can slide the plastic retainers to snap them into place. The use of a rubber hammer helps to finalize seating.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 6

Did you measure corner to corner to see if they're square?
123pugsy is online now   Reply With Quote