Digging Footers After Heavey Rain - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Digging Footers after Heavey Rain

So its raining right now and it's been raining all day. It's supposed to stop sometime tonight around 10 p.m. It also rained (fairly heavily) earlier this week. I had originally planned on digging the footers (12" x 36") tomorrow morning (probably around 10 a.m.). My question is, will this be a problem in light of all the rain recently? Will I dig down one foot and hit water?? Thanks,

Kevin

PS - I just noticed that I spelled "heavy" wrong in the title but I can't edit it

Advertisement

Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,134

How far below the existing level and what kind of soil?

Advertisement

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
How far below the existing level and what kind of soil?
The holes will need to be 36" deep and the soil is a lot of sand (I live in New Jersey).
Old 05-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

It is never good to pour on saturated soil if you can avoid it. Working in sandy soil is probably better than clay soil.

Water won't do much to affect the concrete itself. Concrete would cure just fine underwater if it had to, because it is a chemical process that doesn't require airflow.

I'd advocate waiting until conditions are a little drier if you can, just to make sure you're pouring on dry, stable soil.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
It is never good to pour on saturated soil if you can avoid it. Working in sandy soil is probably better than clay soil.

Water won't do much to affect the concrete itself. Concrete would cure just fine underwater if it had to, because it is a chemical process that doesn't require airflow.

I'd advocate waiting until conditions are a little drier if you can, just to make sure you're pouring on dry, stable soil.
I'll only be digging the footings tomorrow, then I have to wait for the building inspector to come before I can pour the footings. I'll keep that in mind however, once I go to do the pouring.