Did I Ruin My Deck? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Did I ruin my deck?

We bought our current house in 2004 and it had a pressure treated deck, that at the time was unfinished. I power-washed the deck 1st then stained the deck in Summer of 2006 with cabots decking stain (semi-solid) and it held up well till last summer. I decided to put another coat on last summer and a lot of it never really seemed to penetrate, as evidenced by that shiny/tacky look on top. I guess it really didn't need the 2nd coat. Now this summer, the deck looks pretty bad. A lot of flaking stain, right down to bare wood and quite a bit of checking/cracking of boards. In fact, some are showing signs of cupping. I was planning on putting another coat of stain on this summer, but am more curious as to why the boards lost that smooth feeling/look and now have all these cracks? I was wondering if maybe the ppwer washing in the very beginning was too harsh. I didn't gouge the wood in any way, but maybe there was still damage done. Should I even put another coat of stain on this summer and is there anything I can/should do differently?

Advertisement

jzinckgra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Did I ruin my deck?

I doubt your stain had too much to do with it. Fact is, pressure treated lumber is a horrible product for decking of decks. It is Southern Yellow Pine, which is a relatively unstable species. Continuous rain, cold, heat, and sun exposure tend to make SYP go crazy and do all the things you're experiencing.

It isn't a product that you can expect to look good for too many years.

Power washing won't cause the problems you're having. The CCA chemical is throughout the wood, which is treated to retention. Sanding won't hurt it either.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Did I ruin my deck?

I actually bought some PT Thomsanized wood (lowes) and redid my side entranceway. That wood has an almost yellowish/white appearance, which I have now stained. I think it looks really good and seems like a much higher quality then the usual grey looking PT wood. Is this wood any different then the grey stuff?
Regarding my deck: what is the best/most preferred wood type for decking?
jzinckgra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Did I ruin my deck?

Wolmanized is just a proprietary name for pressure treated Southern Yellow Pine. As for the different appearance, it could have something to do with the wood itself, or the fact that it is copper azole treatment these days and not CCA anymore. Typically, they look pretty much the same.

Better decking materials include Cedar, Redwood, Ipe, and the various composites.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote