DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Did the bush cause the damp?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  harleysilo 
#1 ·
Just moved into a house, and discovered a damp patch in the corner of the downstairs front room. This is the only sign of damp in the house. On the outside of the wall was a large bush that was pressed tight up against the wall. I have now removed the bush and the wall where the bush was has a "shadow" of where the bush had been. Is the bush likely to have been the cause of the damp on the inside, or atleast a factor and what is the best way to treat the wall? Appriciate any help.

#3 ·
there are no drain's near corner where the damp is, as for the soil well we live on the side of a hill and this corner is on the side of the house facin into the slope, sayin that however no where else along the edge facin into the slope has signs of damp. Have removed the bush hopin to see the damp disappear, any advice would be appreciated though.

#4 ·
On the outside of the wall was a large bush that was pressed tight up against the wall... Is the bush likely to have been the cause of the damp on the inside, or atleast a factor...
Absolutely

...and what is the best way to treat the wall?
That depends on whether or not the bush removal solved the whole problem
If there is another problem, it should become apparent now
The solution would depend on what the problem is (if it still shows up now)

#6 ·
Not got the roots out yet, just removed the top, In addition to the stuff I have already mentioned I have realised that the bush was covering up one of the vents in to wall so this can't have helped the problem, the roots will be coming up soon to prevent any chance of re-growth. Whats damp FYI?

#9 ·
There is no crawl space through the vent, the vent is below the DPL and from my very limited knowledge I believe it is just for the wall space. I assume that the damp has penetrated through the entire wall as it is showin on the inside of the house as well as on the outside. From what I have been told I need to wait know and give the wall a chance to dry out, which could take a while considering we live in Cumbria which is one of the wettest places in the UK.

#10 ·
FYI means "for your information". What does DPL mean? Ah, you are from the U.K., that could expain your use of the word damp, as if it is a condition, which it is, however the proper use of the word in your thread title would be dampness.....I'm not an english teacher for those of you who are preparing to call me the grammer police....

The plant could very well have blocked airflow from the vent, but was the air that would have been flowing out of the vent very humid to begin with?

Could you take and post some pictures?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.