Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #1

Share |

Are diamond masonary blades really that expensive?

The reason I ask is that I had a GC quote a job and he estimated price of diamond masonary blade @ $400 bucks. Job entails installing 2 patio doors(6'8"x 6') thru cinderblock/brick veneer(about 1 ft thick) wall. Single door is already in place on each side, just expanding the hole. I know they are pricey, but is that price close?. Also, don't know what size saw his mason uses.
Thanks.

Mikedks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
Tileguy

Diamond blades for large wall-saws such as 16" or 18" diameter can easily cost that much but why is he thumping on you for that cost? Cutting through your block won't consume 1/50th of that blade if that much. He is trying to get you to pay 100% of the cost of a blade that he will use over and over and over again on other jobs, probably charging each customer the same price each time he uses it.

He is entitled to some remuneration for the cost of the blade and the saw as well but this guy is rippin' you my friend.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:57 PM   #3

GC went out of his way to specifically mention price of blade and the fact that it will be toast after my job. I assumed that mason would have his own equipment, (including blades) and would price-in blade depreciation and equipment wear and tear w/i that price. Not me buying him a new blade, I don't begrudge anyone a living, just price it fairly.
Any concrete guys or masons want to chime in?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
Tileguy

NONSENSE!!!

No way he's going to "toast" that blade unless it is already toasted when it gets to your job. Let me tell ya...
That wall may measure one foot thick but the truth is the brick vaneer has a void behind it and the cinder blocks have cells in them. He has a 50/50 shot at having to cut the block all the way through a rib, it just doesn't happen that often.

When I was sawing walls and floors years ago we charged by the inch/ft (inch of depth and foot of run) and it was a healthy charge I might add. This charge paid for the expensive saw and the expensive blade over a period of time and multiple uses. Amortization.

He's a pretty ballsy guy trying to sock you for the entire cost of the blade if the blade really did cost him that much to begin with.

I'll bet the guy shows up with a $75 circular saw and a $40 dollar 8" blade from Home Depot and nags his way through your wall like most guys would.

Sorry I ain't buyin' it.

Maybe someone else will come along and set us both straight on this one.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
registered

I agree with big Bud. That gc isn't making anysense what soever.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #6

still tt to GC's and waiting for one estimate from someone else. hope his estimate is good, he didnt quote me a blade price
Old 12-22-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
mason

I buy blades online for about $100 and believe it or not, they last as long as the $400. I use in my German saw and on my brick saw.

Tell the s.o.b you want the blade when he's done then. See what he says lol.

Its contractors like that that give good, honest guys like us a bad name.
6stringmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
Contractor

Yes, diamond blades can get very pricey especially the larger size blades. I don't think the guy is totally out of line. The price is the price. If you don't like the quote, get more quotes.
Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
Yes, diamond blades can get very pricey especially the larger size blades. I don't think the guy is totally out of line. The price is the price. If you don't like the quote, get more quotes.
You dont think charging the price of a brand new blade (what did he say $400) is out of line? That blade will be used on his next 7 jobs, guaranteed.

Seems a bit unreasonable to me.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:16 PM   #10
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringmason View Post
You dont think charging the price of a brand new blade (what did he say $400) is out of line? That blade will be used on his next 7 jobs, guaranteed.

Seems a bit unreasonable to me.
6thstring,

No,I don't think charging for the price of a blade is totally out of line at all. Unlike the other trades where most contractors mark-up materials, etc., 10-30% or more (if you don't believe me do a search on it on contractortalk & see for yourself), the mason here is covering his butt in my opinion.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:22 PM   #11

The only mistake he made was breaking out the cost. If he had to buy one, he should have included the cost into his bid, regardless of how long it will last after he is done. He is a GC, not a mason, and may never use the blade again. That said, 400 bucks is very high for a 14" cutoff blade, and if he does not do this kind of work often, he would be better off buying a half-dozen carbo blades.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #12
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
The only mistake he made was breaking out the cost. If he had to buy one, he should have included the cost into his bid, regardless of how long it will last after he is done. He is a GC, not a mason, and may never use the blade again. That said, 400 bucks is very high for a 14" cutoff blade, and if he does not do this kind of work often, he would be better off buying a half-dozen carbo blades.

Tscar,

I agree that he made a mistake breaking out the cost. The price is the price. Had he also checked with his local masonry suppliers he easily could have received better pricing on blades.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Tscar,

I agree that he made a mistake breaking out the cost. The price is the price. Had he also checked with his local masonry suppliers he easily could have received better pricing on blades.
GC was not doing the masonary work, subbed the job out to a working mason. The blade definitely would be used in subsequent jobs.

The reason the cost was broken out, was because I wanted a breakdown of what I would be paying for. What do you do if you hide the price of the blade in the estimate and someone calls you on it?.
Brickie sounds like he's saying, "the price is the price, take it or leave it". Is that true?.

It sounds like one of these blades should be good for 7 jobs, lets be conservative and say 5. Why would'nt a mason depreciate the blade 20%(and charge me for it) for my job and then add 10-20% as overhead?, seems like a fair way to bill.

Here's the thing I can't get my hands around:
one blade=$400
one blade=good for ~5-7 jobs
each job is charged=$400
total blades used=1
total charged for blades=$2000-$2800

If you use 1 blade for 5-7 jobs and charge every one of them for a new blade, but never buy one, that my friend is out and out fraud.

Maybe I could require the mason to leave the blade when they are done, why not?, I paid for it.

Thanks for the input, extremely enlightening.

Last edited by Mikedks; 12-28-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:54 PM   #14
mason

To be honest I have only charged for a blade on one job. That was a 15,000 brick and cant remember how many tons of stone job. I put an extra $250 into the bid and told the GC I was doing it. He had no problems and understood.

Other than that, I dont charge. I chalk it up as a business expense.

Do you charge for plank, scaffolding, wheelbarrow, mixer depreciation, new tires, hand tools, chalk line, corner poles, german saw, etc...

I think you get the point. I guess I come from a different part of the country, but I cant see charging for a new blade for one job.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #15
mason

Quote:
6thstring,

No,I don't think charging for the price of a blade is totally out of line at all. Unlike the other trades where most contractors mark-up materials, etc., 10-30% or more (if you don't believe me do a search on it on contractortalk & see for yourself), the mason here is covering his butt in my opinion.
BTW... A mark up on materials is one thing. A mark up on equipment is another. Im a member at CT and I know all about markup. That IS a fact. I mark up materials as well. I think that is just a given.