Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Destruction permit required to remove garage

Hi All,

I am looking at pulling down the two car garage in my backyard, removing the concrete and sodding it over. The house is in Toronto. Will I need a destruction permit to remove it? It shares a wall with the neighbors garage but as far as I can tell they are structurally separate (though I confirm this before removing mine).

thoughts?

jordan399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,226

Call and ask about local codes. Things are different everywhere. Also talk to your insurance company. Find out what happens if you damage the neighbors property.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
thomasjmarino (05-30-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

How does your neighbor feel about this?

If it shares a wall with your neighbors garage, will their current interior wall turn into an exterior wall when you remove your section of garage?
alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Full time DIY

Rewards Points: 25

You need a demolition permit from the city, you possibly won't get it. I've seen them denied before when the existing structure is not in immediate danger of collapsing.

Last edited by G-Mo; 05-30-2011 at 08:49 PM.
G-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I havent talked to the neighbor about it yet, im working on this. Until we moved into the property recently they used to park into the shared driveway - now we use it to park next to the garage so they have to park in the street. The idea to pull down the garage is not entirely selfish - I intend to park in the back yard via the rear laneway, this leave the driveway for him to park his massive minivan (win-win).

If I dont pull down the garage I estimate that it has about 5 years - it is rotting in many places and is a breeding ground for sewer rats (thanks to to sewer drain at the back of it).

With permits do I simply have to get a qualified professional (structural engineer) to state that they recommend that I pull it down or does the city typically send an inspector? in the event that a permit is denied how can I contest it (I understand that this may differ by county/city/country)?

And to answer one of the other questions the interior wall of the neighbors garage will become the exterior wall if I pull down mine - but I will properly waterproof it and fit it with matching siding (I want it to look good from my property too)

cheers
jordan399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Full time DIY

Rewards Points: 25

There are many things to consider, even down to what ward you live in and some more you've raised in your additional post.

Depending on your ward (even street or lane-way) you may need to get an additional permit to park in your back, as you suggest. In some locations there is a moratorium on this type of parking, in others it's assessed on a street-by-street, house-by-house situation. If you have a mutual lane-way already, depending on the width, it could be an instant rejection. There are so many factors.

Call a couple of architects familiar with your area, they can give you a better idea of how things work where you are (I only know specifics for Beaches/East York), and can prepare the appropriate permit application and drawings (the city will require a lot survey, full home and garage schematics, etc... with the permit application). It becomes significantly more complicated with the garage connected to the neighbor, you may need two permits (one per property) and your neighbor to agree to his permit submittal just to get the ball rolling...

G-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote