Design Software - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Design Software

Hello,

I am looking for a recommendation on software. If this is the incorrect location for this post, I apologize.

I take on various DIY projects at home that can range from something simple like building some shelves, to something more advanced like a deck for my back yard (coming soon).

I am looking for some software that I can use to help draw up some designs for the more elaborate projects. I can find a lot of home reno software, and a lot of landscaping/deck software, but those do not include being able to design a book shelf or something to that effect.

I am hoping to not have to take a second mortgage to purchase the software, but am not opposed to spending money for quality.

Your help is appreciated!

Advertisement

blincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Design Software

Check out Google Sketch Up it its free for non-commercial use, has a ton of how to videos on youtube and is pretty easy to use.

I taught myself the basics during a 3-day weekend.

Advertisement

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Design Software

I like Sweet Home 3D better than any other basic floorplan software I have used. It is free, open source, and runs on Windows, Mac and Linux. Many of the full blown CAD programs offer free light versions that might work for your needs. I think even good old AutoCad has a free web version now? Full CAD programs have come down considerably in price but you really should have drawing tablets or other input devices to go with them.

Anyhow, I have not in awhile, but Google something like "Free CAD Programs" or "Free Drafting Programs" if you want to design bookshelves and things with detail beyond what a floorplan program will do.

This is a great site listing commercial and equivalent open source software and there are several CAD programs listed:

http://www.osalt.com

See if there is anything that would fit your needs at these sites also:

http://www.freebyte.com/cad/

http://www.cumulatelabs.com

Please post what you find that works. I would be interested and I am sure others would be as well.

Last edited by user1007; 03-16-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Added URLs
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Design Software

Hey blincoln, I'm with DevilDog on this - Google Sketchup is fantastic. Funny enough, I started using it as whiteboxing tool in level design for videogames, and a buddy of mine is a contractor, and he uses it exclusively to design home layouts for clients.

We both use it for vastly different purposes, and it works really well for both. You can import assets from anywhere (for instance, when I was setting up a spaceport level, for reference points, I inserted a bunch of stuff from the 'Alien' film series to add punch to my clientelle, whereas my contractor friend will find textures to match different materials for his own clients), so it's pretty versatile no matter the usage.

Additionally, you'll pick it up, play with it for a night, and have it mastered within a couple weeks. It's strong, it's free, and you can't go wrong in terms of quality for cost. Give it a shot!

G
GordCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
the Musigician

Design Software

zbrush is nice. 20/20 is pretty good freeware too. google and download either for some fun!

DM
Old 05-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Design Software

I cannot find the post where it was recommended but thanks to whomever suggested DraftSight. I am still on the learning curve but it seems like a great, free, little CAD program!

Also caused me to remember that the CAD software at emachineshop.com is pretty user friendly also. Plus they offer the capability to make you parts from it in just about any material you can imagine. Cheap. One of a kind no problem.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote