Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Share |

Dehumidifier

Hi All,

I just purchased a Sears Kenmore Dehumidifier and the unit needs to be manually turned back on in case of a power failure.

Ever here of such a bizarre operation? I'm going to take it back and get another!

I do have a question.

What is the correct humidity setting for a typical basement?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Guercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #2

Dehumidifier

That's how mine is too... I think any of the electronically controlled units will be that way. I have an older, smaller kenmore with 2 knobs on it that will restart itself after a power outage. I like my new one though... The humidistat built into it is nice info in my opinion.

My basement is always relatively damp, and even worse with the recent flooding around here. I try to let it cycle a bit so I keep it set at 65%, but it can and will drop it to 40%. I have a continuous drain hose setup into a floor drain for it.

Marqed97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

Dehumidifier

I'm not made of money, so I'm happy to keep my basement below 70%. That is wet, but it is less than 75%.

If you are living down there, I would keep it below 65%.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #4

Dehumidifier

Yep, no point in going much lower for my house. I've found that 60-65% is low enough that the basement doesn't have that musty smell to it.
Marqed97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #5

Dehumidifier

Thanks Guys,

I used to keep my old one set at 50% but evidently that was wasteful. I'll aim at 60-65%

Regards,
Bob
Old 06-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Dehumidifier

I was a PMT for SEARS for a time. At least 85 percent of the humidifiers we sold passed by me as returns. I made the decision to send them out for refurbishing or frankly, depending on the make and model, just to send them to the compactor.

It's not just SEARS but they are the most crappily built appliances on the planet. Nobody sells any better than anybody else so do not blame SEARS.

Don't tell my former employer I told you this but when I sent them out to be rebuilt? They came back as flawless working things. We could not sell them as new but in a deep dark corner of SEARS there is a markdown section where we PMTs set the price. Get your money back, ask to see that corner (in my store it was way back behind frig and freezers), and grab yourself a thoroughly checked out and properly built unit for half or so.

This time of year places like Big Lots should have refurbished and warranted AC units as well. In a heartbeat grab any you can find. Rebuilt is far superior to factory new when it comes to such things. Trust me?

However, you may find most dehumidifiers have a fault breaker that has to be reset manually if they experience a major power fluctuation. This is a good thing, not a bad thing. And you can press the red button without too much pain right? If your power overall or on the circuit exclusive to the dehumidifier is going off on a regular basis you cannot really blame the appliance right? It might be warning you you have too much plugged in?

Last edited by user1007; 06-29-2012 at 05:45 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Dehumidifier

The stats on dehumidifiers aren't very accurate anyway, so set it to where it feels comfortable. RH is temperature dependant. Anything above 55% is high.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #8

Dehumidifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

However, you may find most dehumidifiers have a fault breaker that has to be reset manually if they experience a major power fluctuation. .
I purchased an LG651EBL from Home Depot which is as you described. It has a built in GFI (Ground Fault Indicator) which needs to be manually reset if current is detected in the ground line.

However, if current is detected in the ground line, you would not want it coming on automatically because there could be a problem with the wiring. That's a much different situation from a power failure!

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Guercio For This Useful Post:
user1007 (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #9

Dehumidifier

While we're on the subject of dehumidifiers, how do I know whether I should be using the high or low fan setting?

Bob