Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #1

Share |

Defog window recap

Hi,
I have just moved into a property and one large window is fogged. I have been reading a lot of posts on defogging the windows and am summarizing my plan based on what I have read here. Please comment if I have missed out anything important

- Check up the manufacturers of the window and contact them to see if the warranty is still valid.

- If not then drill small holes in the window and clean it up from the inside. Let the moisture escape or use a desiccant and seal the window. This methodology has been discussed multiple times in this forum and there is an exhaustive thread on it.

- If I use the aforementioned approach then the dual pane window will be filled with air. The house was built in 1994 and I dont know if it has Argon in it or not. How much insulation do I lose after drilling holes in the window?

- Also the window has metal strips between the two large panes. This separates the windows in multiple parts. Do I have to drill two holes for each part of the window. Images attached. Window is circled in red.

- Another option is to use a defogging service. They cost 30-50% of the cost of the window. They drill the window and install a small one way valve. Success rate is ~50%. I am not sure if I want to follow this approach. I am not happy paying someone hundreds of dollars to drill a hole.

- If nothing else works then replace the window. The window is pretty big. About 4 feet wide and 4 feet high. Is there a big gain in insulation by replacing the window or would I be replacing it for cosmetic reasons only. The window is circled in red in the attached image. It opens in a stairway.

Please let me know if I am missing out on anything

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Defog window recap-window.jpg  

greenmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Mod

Defog window recap

If the window is fogged the argon is gone if there ever was any. If it’s in a stairway it might be tempered, you wouldn’t want to drill that.

How big of a hole do you need to drill to clean a window on the inside of the panes? Just curious.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #3

Defog window recap

Thanks for the suggestion about tempered glass. I will keep that in mind.

I am basing my plan on the following thread. It was locked for unrelated reasons so I had to start a new one. The details on size of the hole, cleaning etc are in there. From what I recall the hole diameter should be 1/8th inch.

"Defogging" double-pane windows .... a gimmick??
greenmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #4

Defog window recap

Call a window company to get an estimate to replace the glass. You might be surprised how cheap it is.

Replacing it is the only fix. Everything else is a patch.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #5

Defog window recap

the grill in between panes is decorative only. my brother owns a glass shop and he said defogging company's are right up there with radon fixer uppers