Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #1

Share |

Definition of Detached house

Just been refused planning permission for extension of 4m because the planners do not accept that my hose is detached.
The houses in the street are staggered and mine is at the head of the street.
The street consists of a house, its garage to the side; a 25mmgap then the next house its garage, gap and so on.
Because there is roofing felt flashing from the main wall of my next door neighbour house onto my garage roof they say the house is link detached ie by the roofing felt. Because of the stagger the felt only connects both houses for 3.5m of the total 8.8m width of my house. Its my house detached or link detached. Can roofing felt be considered a structural connection?

vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Just been refused planning permission for extension of 4m because the planners do not accept that my hose is detached.
The houses in the street are staggered and mine is at the head of the street.
The street consists of a house, its garage to the side; a 25mmgap then the next house its garage, gap and so on.
Because there is roofing felt flashing from the main wall of my next door neighbour house onto my garage roof they say the house is link detached ie by the roofing felt. Because of the stagger the felt only connects both houses for 3.5m of the total 8.8m width of my house. Its my house detached or link detached. Can roofing felt be considered a structural connection?
The construction definitions of your situation are defined by the local building dept. They can be appealed through legal channels.
I looked up 25mm, it's about an inch. How does one apply a finished exterior when the houses are less then an inch apart?
Ron
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The construction definitions of your situation are defined by the local building dept. They can be appealed through legal channels.
I looked up 25mm, it's about an inch. How does one apply a finished exterior when the houses are less then an inch apart?
Ron
Ron
Hi Ron
Thanks for your response.
Not sure what you mean by “a finished exterior” I assume you refer to the cement finish of the two facing walls (my garage and the neighbour’s house wall). If so I assume they build them at the same time and finish the cement seams as they go. By the way I searched the local planning dept records today and they refer to the houses as detached. I agree a 25mm gap is pushing the detached concept a little far but separate walls they are and stand alone they do do.
The houses were originally sold by the builder as detached, probably was able to get one more house in the street and make a few shekels more!
Vinny
vinny is offline   Reply With Quote