Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Share |

Defective windows installation costs

Some LoE w/Argon windows installed in our new home are defective. The manufacturer will send us new windows free of charge, but will not install them free of charge. They want $1600 to install them.

I have already paid a contractor originally to have these windows installed and my contention is the manufacturer should pay for installation due to the fact it is their defective product.

Do I have a case? Any suggestions?

1saluki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

This is a DIY forum, unfortunately not a legal forum. I suggest you contact an attorney if you wish to pursue legal remedies against the manufacturer or installer. You way also want to review the written warranty that likely came with the windows, and review your contract with the installer.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
This is a DIY forum, unfortunately not a legal forum. I suggest you contact an attorney if you wish to pursue legal remedies against the manufacturer or installer. You way also want to review the written warranty that likely came with the windows, and review your contract with the installer.
+1 on contacting an attorney.

Common sense tells me that if you didnt use an approved installer from the manufacturer they will not cover replacement costs. This could be the issue, I dont know.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saluki2 View Post
Some LoE w/Argon windows installed in our new home are defective. The manufacturer will send us new windows free of charge, but will not install them free of charge. They want $1600 to install them.

I have already paid a contractor originally to have these windows installed and my contention is the manufacturer should pay for installation due to the fact it is their defective product.

What is defective about the windows. Be as specific as possible.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #5

Ron...

fog, haze between the two panes on some windows; on others, striations, streaks that are either between the two panes of glass or on the surface. All problems are either 1) not accessible, OR 2) will not clean off.
1saluki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:

Wow.. I had some windows installed and had the same problem as you with fog in between the panes. The company sent their own guy to my house to replace it with no problem whatsoever.

As others mentioned, I'd carefully read my warranty and if you're on good terms with the contractor that installed your windows originally, ask him what he thinks about it ?

If all else fails, contact an attorney. I've had to go this route twice and a simple letter from an attorney sometimes gets results.
sciron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Ron...

fog, haze between the two panes on some windows; on others, striations, streaks that are either between the two panes of glass or on the surface. All problems are either 1) not accessible, OR 2) will not clean off.
You're describing sash replacement.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #8

Most reliable manufacturers have a period where they will cover the labor, how long since the windows were installed??? Cheapies do not. But as suggested above, it sounds like a simple sash replacement, only takes a few minutes. Unless you have a LOT of windows, $1600 is rediculous. And yes, it should be done for free.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #9

a reputable manufacturer would send a tech guy to replace the sashes
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #10

im a window installer in az most of the windows i put in the manufacturer will change out the panes only depending on years in warranty

wayne beresford is offline   Reply With Quote