Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Deck surface

I guess I am guilty of neglecting my deck, haven't resealed it in awhile. Is there anything I an do at this point, or do I have to replace the surface? Its at a point where my son got some pretty bad splinters yesterday.

mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 530

Deck surface

You can always opt for sanding with a coarse grit sandpaper and then go over it again with a medium grit. Seal when finished. Make sure you use a belt sander or orbital sander as doing this by hand would be difficult.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #3

Deck surface

Thanks, I'll probably end up doing that.is it also possible, or advisable to flip the boards and replace the worst of them, or is that not worthwhile
Old 04-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 502

Deck surface

Adults too, get splinters. I would consider having most of it taken down and having wood composite installed. I am assuming you have pressure treated wood. Its less maintenance and safer for children to play on.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 530

Deck surface

If you are going to go to the trouble of taking up the deck boards, I would personally just replace them unless $ is a huge concern. I wouldn't think just the deck surface would be that costly.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Deck surface

What is do-able/worthwhile/cost-effective will depend on what you've got, how big it is, what shape it's in, and what you want to end up with

Sanding is an option (with a belt and some palm/orbitals), if it's not to big a deck, and it's not in great need of a lot of sanding
Either of those and renting a large machine should be a consideration, and even with the machine there is still a lot of labor involved (all the nails must be set, and the machine does not get everywhere)...and the machines are heavy and slow

Flipping the boards is an option
The labor involved is the same labor as removing the boards and installing new ones
The old ones will never look new, but it could save a fair amount of money
Wood prices have increased dramatically over the last few years

As the labor is the same as flipping, replacing the deck boards with new ones is usually not too tough, as it's all laid out
Usually securing the boards and cutting off the ends with a circ saw is the procedure

But either way you'll need new fasteners

It depends on what you've got and what you want and what you are willing to do
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:43 AM   #7

Deck surface

All good points and thanks for the ideas...

I'm in the middle of doing an add-a-level, so budget is a big issue, but I don't want the kids getting splinters (adults can pull thier own out, lol)

The deck is 22' x 12 and 9 years old.......my labor I can handle.....I used screws, so setting them further to sand may be an issue, plus theres a few boards I really don't like......looks like flipping most and replacing some is a good option.......
Old 04-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Deck surface

You can also try 2 step cleaning it and applying a penetrating, non drying oil. I rarely have to sand decks once they are restored by this method. The oil conditions the deck and unless you are talking about large splinters sticking up from the wood, you'd be surprised how much smoother surfaces can be. Keep in mind I am not viewing your deck so I am guessing blindly but deck restoration is what my company does professionally.
RAD Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #9

Deck surface

This looks good. I'm not at the point of splinters sticking up......its the little sensative childrens feet that find the splinters - guess I literally have "thick skin"

Can I post a few pictures and get your opinion on how it will work?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

Deck surface

Pictures will help. You can either post them or shoot them over to my email at pressurepros@mail.com
RAD Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Deck surface

With a 9 year old deck that hasn't been maintained I would also ask how secure the structure is. Before you do much in the way of repairing the decking. If all is well I would replace the bad ones and be done with it.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #12

Deck surface

You have a good point. I had maintained it well for the first few years, but not so much since then. It's not horrible, its just that its not good enough for 2 little boys.

It is still secure, but I expect to replace a couple boards I was never happy with.