Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4
Share |
Question

Deck and sub-pump issue


I have a sub pump that has a broken line to the swear drain at the edge of my yard. The problem I have is that it is all under my deck. There is a small opening within the deck where the sub-pump pipe comes out of the house and goes right under the deck. The previous owner uses a nice piece of wood shaped like a step to cover the piping and the small hole in the deck next to the house. When I remove that cover I see the pipe and a lot of water collecting under the deck. My problem is that I don't know how to remove the deck boards to see exactly where the pipe is broken and what issues there are. The reason I noticed this was my yard was way to wet even with all the rain we have been having and the sub pump runs every 30-60 seconds. I've only owned the house a year and want to correct this issue before there is any water damage in the basement.

Thank you

jerry8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

Deck and sub-pump issue


What type of piping is the sump pump attached to? How large is the pipe?
Don't you see fasteners on the deck boards? If not there might be hidden fasteners securing the boards. You should see some evidence between the boards.
How far undergound is the pipe?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Deck and sub-pump issue


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
What type of piping is the sump pump attached to? How large is the pipe?
Don't you see fasteners on the deck boards? If not there might be hidden fasteners securing the boards. You should see some evidence between the boards.
How far underground is the pipe?
Ron
Ron,
Thanks for the reply.

I was able to get 2 of the boards up. They are very long and actually tuck under a second level to the deck. So I removed the nails and put a piece of wood underneath them to prop them up. This gave me a bit of access to the pipe. It's in a corner and very hard to reach or even see.

The pvc pipe coming out of the house seems to be going into a bigger pipe but not all the water is going into the pipe. The pipe in the ground has a bigger opening and seems like it is made out of metal.

The way they built the deck around this pipe was really bad. They have a support beam going right in front of the pipe so it's difficult to see anything.

I have someone coming over tonight to help me figure it out.

Thanks again for your reply.
jerry8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 400
Default

Deck and sub-pump issue


you might have to abandon the defective piping and run a new line
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Deck and sub-pump issue


Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberinlaw View Post
you might have to abandon the defective piping and run a new line
I hope all I have to do is change the sub pump piping from outside the house. I hope I have it direct right into the bigger pipe that is under ground. Removing the underground pipe will me my whole deck will have to come up.

Would that work be covered under home owners insurance? The pipe is broke which is causing the water not to drain correctly.

Thank you again for your suggestions.
jerry8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

Deck and sub-pump issue


Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry8989 View Post
I hope all I have to do is change the sub pump piping from outside the house. I hope I have it direct right into the bigger pipe that is under ground. Removing the underground pipe will me my whole deck will have to come up.

Would that work be covered under home owners insurance? The pipe is broke which is causing the water not to drain correctly.

Thank you again for your suggestions.
You would call your insurance company for that information, but I would minimize small claims unless you want to be dropped. Unless you had no deductible or a small one, it wouldn't really cover it anyway.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Deck and sub-pump issue


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You would call your insurance company for that information, but I would minimize small claims unless you want to be dropped. Unless you had no deductible or a small one, it wouldn't really cover it anyway.
Ron
Ron,

Thanks I forgot about the deductible. I don't like taking that route unless it is really necessary. I did have my cousin come by and take a look at the issue last night. He thinks that the main pipe that my sub-pump is spilling into is clogged. I tried snaking it but it didn't work. I called my plumper yesterday and I'm waiting on a call back from him. If he doesn't call back by Saturday i'm going to cut the pvc pipe off and see what is going on and then go get a new pipe and replace it.

Thanks

jerry8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.