Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Deck Stain

The deck on the house we recently bought was covered in carpeting. Yesterday I removed the carpeting and have to spend another day getting the dried out glue off. Most of it seems to be chipping fairly easily. I'll probably powerwash it with some Thompsons Deck Cleaner then sand any spots where the glue didn't come off.
Once its finally cleaned off I think I'm going to stain/treat it. I've heard from some that painting it makes it too slick if it gets wet. What should I look out for when picking out a deck stain?

jte1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Deck Stain

You don't mention which class of stain, solid or semi-transparent. Solid is closer to paint. You can add a grit compound to the solid stain if you have an issue with a slippery deck. Make sure the stain has a UV protectorant
included.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote