Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #1

Share |

deck question

new guy here. been registered for awhile but only perused occasionally. got a deck question for someone much smarter on this than i. my deck is well above ground. we can drive our car under it to get into the garage. what i want to do is build a shingled cover type frame over it. wondering if i can safely anchor 4x4's to each corner of the deck floor for the main supports. i've looked at these:

Titan Post Anchor at http://www.ideasfordeckdesigns.com/titanpostanchor.php

they can be anchored and bolted through the deck floor, just not sure if it's a good idea to use them in that manner or does someone have a better idea.

the deck measurements are 13' 8" long (extending away from the house x 11' 8" wide along the house. I've looked at tutorials and can't find anything that addresses it specifically. they all cover anchoring it to a concrete pad or in the ground. neither are an option in my case. also, the portion that will be close to the house will not be anchored to the house due to a chimney in the way. i was just going to leave it uncovered. it's only about 21" of space with a portion of it covered by the house roof.

thanks for any assistance.

toddj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #2

deck question

The 4x4 support for the roof needs to be directly over the support below
OR over a beam that has been sized to support a roof load
Snow load can put a lot of weight onto these posts
So distance between posts is also a big point, plus roof joist sizes
And the slope of the roof

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #3

deck question

I have the steel poles supporting the deck. don't know yet if the roof supports will be directly over the deck supports though. the side near the house was going to be at almost 8' high with it sloping down to 7'. there would be 3 supports each side with a 2x8 used as joists. I'll have to check to see iff they'll be directly over the deck supports. thanks for the quick reply. gotta hit the hay. big day tomorrow. i'll check back in tomorrow eve.

Last edited by toddj99; 04-21-2010 at 10:15 PM.
toddj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #4

deck question

Those brackets do look nice though. I am adding onto my deck this year, unforunately i will not be adding these brackets into the budget.
Notching it is...
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #5

deck question

100# sideways force on top of a 4' post [a drunk party guest] would put 400 #-ft of torque on this fastener. It might hold, depending on the fasteners and if the post can resist splitting.

Also, outside of a factory, I doubt that axis of the hole and the axis of the post could be aligned closely enough so the misalignment would not be noticeable, in that the post would not be at right angles to the deck surface.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 04-22-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

deck question

I'm a carpenter. A job like this is going to take a lot more than a tutorial to learn how to do. If you are going to be supporting a roof structure of this size, there are going to be all sorts of load conditions to be considered. Header size and post location are going to be critical to pulling this job off safely. Make sure to consult and architect and/or an engineer.

Secondly, these brackets aren't going to do what you need them to do. Not only is horizontal movement going to be an issue for you, uplift (i.e. the winds ability to lift a structure) is going to be an issue which will have to be calculated, and I can pretty much garauntee these little things screwed to a deck floor aren't going to cut it.

eisert is offline   Reply With Quote