Deck Or Paved Patio If Backdoor Is 4 Feet Above Ground? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck or paved patio if backdoor is 4 feet above ground?

I'm going to get either a deck or patio done in my back yard this month, but I'm still mulling over whether to do a PVC/composite deck or paved patio. I've gotten a few quotes and they're almost about the same price, maybe a $1k difference.

For my space, what should I do?

I'd like to conserve the current patio then add the patio or deck. Either way, the deck/patio will stop before the current patio.

The deck would likely have stairs coming out on the side (away from the house).

Pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/fBsit

Advertisement

pood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

Normally, I prefer patios over decks. However, in this case it might be nice to have the deck to view above that hedge. Is there anything worth looking at over there? Also, a paver patio and a poured concrete patio side-by-side might look sort-of weird.

From the pictures provided, I vote deck.

Advertisement

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #3

Nothing to look at, just some wetlands, than neighbors.

With the paver, I would remove the current patio, and redo it with the same stuff.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #4

I vote patio. Way less maintenance and I haven't seen one of those Trex decks that isn't hideous after about five years. No maintenance? hah!
GarryE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GarryE For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryE View Post
I vote patio. Way less maintenance and I haven't seen one of those Trex decks that isn't hideous after about five years. No maintenance? hah!
I vote deck, but use a QUALITY material with a GOOD TRACK record and you won't have the problems garrys talking about.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #6

I'm looking at Timbertech XLM or the trex trenscend if I were to do a deck.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

The area you have is small and I really think something structural like a deck will look clunky and sort of squeezed in place.

I would find an artisan concrete finisher that can pour, stamp and stain, or otherwise finish a surface, you will love, for you.

I would bite the bullet and take out the current slab rather than trying to match to it.

Last edited by user1007; 04-04-2012 at 07:35 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #8

Now it really looks like I may have to go patio. I got some more estimates today. One guy was 14k!! But average now is around $8-9k for the deck, cheapest I got was $5k. While the one estimate I got for a basic paved patio with retaining wall was for $6k here in Seattle.

I had thought about getting pressed cement, but I hear they crack no matter how well the contractor puts in the joints, is that true? Are pressed cement (say a basic pattern) cheaper than paved? I'm looking at a .5" bricks.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryE View Post
I am not sold on synthetic materials either yet. If you must build a deck I would use redwood A grade heartwood. Pricey but will save you in the long run if you maintain it.

Or if you hit the lottery you could use teak. There is a reason it was used on sailboat decks I used to race. If you never touched it with much it would turn gray but require zilch in maintenace even if left outside floating on salt water.

I still think you should let a concrete person pour and finish what you have in mind. If you live near me or Central Illinois, I can provide names of people specially trained that do extraordinary things. They know counterparts elsewhere. Some are so good they are known to fly. They will cost you know more than I would to build you a nice deck.

You are stuck with the dimensions of lumber which I think will look out of scale with the space you have.

Last edited by user1007; 04-04-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pood View Post
Now it really looks like I may have to go patio. I got some more estimates today. One guy was 14k!! But average now is around $8-9k for the deck, cheapest I got was $5k. While the one estimate I got for a basic paved patio with retaining wall was for $6k here in Seattle.

I had thought about getting pressed cement, but I hear they crack no matter how well the contractor puts in the joints, is that true? Are pressed cement (say a basic pattern) cheaper than paved? I'm looking at a .5" bricks.
Dude. I love Seattle. Used to spend loads of time there. Of course I have friends that will let me build you a deck or supervise pouring a patio.

Meanwhile my friend? If you are getting estimates ranging from $5 to $14K you are not asking people for the same thing. Or you are about to be royally had. At either the low or high end of the bid spectrum you are seeing.

As for imprinted/stamped concrete cracking. I swear by jobs I specified and found good people to implement. Some surfaces have been in place for over 25 years with no complaints.

Stamping concrete will of course be cheaper than pavers. You will not get nailed for stealing a tree either. That has to be the difference between $5K and $14K?

Last edited by user1007; 04-04-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Dude. I love Seattle. Used to spend loads of time there. Of course I have friends that will let me build you a deck or supervise pouring a patio.

Meanwhile my friend? If you are getting estimates ranging from $5 to $14K you are not asking people for the same thing. Or you are about to be royally had. At either the low or high end of the bid spectrum you are seeing.

As for imprinted/stamped concrete cracking. I swear by jobs I specified and found good people to implement. Some surfaces have been in place for over 25 years with no complaints.

Stamping concrete will of course be cheaper than pavers. You will not get nailed for stealing a tree either. That has to be the difference between $5K and $14K?
Yah, I'm not sure. The quotes I got for around 8k-10k were over the phone, I gave them all the dimensions. The 5k estimate, the guy lives basically 2 minutes away and he was telling me he wasn't getting as many jobs as before (had to let go his 2 employees), but I think he also didn't quote a design and permit in there, which the other guys were charging around $800 to $2000 ($14k guy), that's just the design and paper work, not the actual permit.

The 14k contractor went all out on his estimate, he even drew out an digital diagram of how the deck should look, fancy spreadsheets and what not. He was also the youngest of all the contractors, looks like he has about 10 years under his belt and he's only 32, while the other guys have been doing this for 20-30 years and are in their late 40s or 50s. If that matters.

Material wise should be the same, Trex Accent, 40foot of ceder railing, 6 stairs, and a 3 foot landing.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pood View Post
Yah, I'm not sure. The quotes I got for around 8k-10k were over the phone, I gave them all the dimensions. The 5k estimate, the guy lives basically 2 minutes away and he was telling me he wasn't getting as many jobs as before (had to let go his 2 employees), but I think he also didn't quote a design and permit in there, which the other guys were charging around $800 to $2000 ($14k guy), that's just the design and paper work, not the actual permit.

The 14k contractor went all out on his estimate, he even drew out an digital diagram of how the deck should look, fancy spreadsheets and what not. He was also the youngest of all the contractors, looks like he has about 10 years under his belt and he's only 32, while the other guys have been doing this for 20-30 years and are in their late 40s or 50s. If that matters.

Material wise should be the same, Trex Accent, 40foot of ceder railing, 6 stairs, and a 3 foot landing.
You know you are balancing out your own integral equation here right?

I turn 58 soon. Like I say, I could do Seattle for a time and even check out the 32 yo. He came with drawings too? Others did not mention need for drawings, sign offs, permits and inspections? I was 32 once.

You know the $5-6K guy, if average for the project hangs at $10K, has to be removed from consideration?

Last edited by user1007; 04-04-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You are stuck with the dimensions of lumber which I think will look out of scale with the space you have.
I don't quite understand what that means, care to elaborate?

Advertisement

robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote