DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Deck Cleaning/Staining

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  cibula11 
#1 ·
I built my deck last summer out of PT lumber. I did not seal it or do anything so that it could dry out. As spring is approaching I am wanting to get ready so that I can treat it right away. Should I pressure wash the deck first before applying a sealer. And, what type of sealer should I use?
I had heard that clear sealers do nothing and that I need to use a stain. I just don't want to stain it and have to be stuck with it forever. I also have a fence to do as well, so it must be something that looks good on a large scale. Suggestions?

#2 ·
It depends on where you live regions make a big difference
there is a wood cleaner that you can use to clean the deck.

I would never us a clear sealer I would buy one and tent it however you always want some pigment in your sealers to reflect the sun and UV raise.

go to your paint store you would be surprised how much they know that is who we ask when were stuck, Just ask the manager or there rep.

#3 ·
I live in Iowa, so we get some pretty good, or bad, weather. I just don't want something too dark where it shows the wear on the deck. Is Cabot a good brand? I definately don't want a solid stain...I think it looks too much like the deck is painted. And, like I mentioned above, I have a fence to do as well to match the deck.

#4 · (Edited)
If you want to match fence to deck, make sure your wood is the same species. You should be able to get a few color swatches bring them home or buy a few small cans on stain test it in an area that is hard to see.
see which one you like the best. Just make sure you tell the paint store what kind of wood the stain will be going on...
and with stain every few years you have to re-stain if you want to keep your investment preserved.

#5 ·
Cibula11, if you are going to powerwash the deck, be sure to wear full eye protection and a suitable particulate mask - not the ones sold for insulation or sanding. Pressure treated lumber by design contains a poisonous chemical within itself and you don't want to inhale any of it if you dislodge tiny particles of the wood or bird doo or dust and other particulates. And you need to protect your eyes at all times. Be safe. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
hmmm...think about sealer

You might want to think about a transparent sealer in stead of a stain...It sounds like you wood has already been treated by the manufactor.

#9 · (Edited)
A Sealer set on top of the wood with little absorbtion, where as a stain absorbs in to the wood.

I would spray or roll, Better yet do both get your self one of those Hudson sprayers pour the stain or sealer in ,spray and roll as you go You do want to try as much as possible to do a section as a time when I say this I mean stop at the end of the rail.

( What's a rail ?)it's a single piece of wood with no breaks, Like a door case or frame it has 3 rails. also keep a bucket around to lay your roller across

Work 2 or 3 rails wide and stop at the end of each rail that is how I do it, It also help you from working your self into a corner, Some painters might think it to much but I personally like how even the end results are it prevents over laps.

After your done discard the Hudson sprayer if you use oil just make sure you leave the container open to dry befor discarding

#10 · (Edited)
Okay, I am one of those guys who can never make a decision. So, what would you all do? New PT deck, 7 mos. old. Seal or Stain? Clean first or just apply product. What type of product?

The only the I do know, is that I don't want a solid product on my deck. I want to see the wood. It's pressure treated, but with a chemical that makes the wood look natural like pine with little or no green color.

I am hesitant on stain because I have my deck and fence to do. I can't imagine the labor of doing all that every year.

I don't want grey wood. I know over time it's going to happen, but I would like to preserve the wood as long as possible.

Would Cabot's Australian Oil help do this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.