Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #1

Share |

Deadbolt Style Stike Plates

Hi all,

I know this may seem like a strange question- but how do deadbolt style strike plates work?

Here's a picture of one at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Restorers-Affi...7780273&sr=8-2

I simply do not understand them. Are they meant for a special type of deadbolt? Is one of the holes on the strike plate supposed to act as a latch, and the other for a deadbolt? If so, does the picture have it upside down? And further, if so, how does the latch work when there is no curve on the plate to slide on.

I would love any diagram or explanation as to how these things work!

Thanks!
nsela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:43 AM   #2

That is a strike plate for a mortise type lockset. A deadbolt and knob in one unit mortised into the door. They are not a common item because the installation is very labor intensive.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
gravity always wins

The site looks like a restoration supply house. Many old houses had mortise style locksets. The picture isn't upside down. On most old mortise sets, the deadbolt was in the lower part of the case. If you are looking for a deadbolt strike, use one that has lag screws that reach back into the studs behind the jamb. Deadbolt strikes don't have a lip since there is no spring loaded latchbolt that would "strike" the strike.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #4

i did a baldwin mortise lock years ago

now i let a proffesional locksmith do them
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
gravity always wins

A mortise set is a rather large lockset that fits into a pocket cut in the edge of the door, rather than slipping into a bored hole like a cylindrical lockset. They can be a challenge to properly install, but are heavy duty and will outlast a cylindrical by probably 2-3 times.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:16 PM   #6

The last time I installed a mortise lock it was in a new door slab that I installed. I cut the door, mortised out for the new hinges, installed weatherstripping,and door sweep. It seems like it took me longer to install the mortise lock than it did to hang the door and weatherstrip.Mortise locks were much more common, years ago. I have a lot of respect for the old time carpenters who installed them with hand tools.
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote