Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Retired from the grind

Share |

Daughter is first time apt. renter

Went to Lowe's to pick up some basic necessities for my daughter, like a tool kit, had to get a hammer, due to not in tool kit, couple of smoke detectors, due to did not know how old the one in the apt was, or if it still worked, fire extinguisher, and flashlight. I was thinking that if someone was smart, they would package that in a kit, that you could purchase for first time renter or home owner. Also throw in a home repair guide. Of course she could not do without the microwave, so got that for her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Went to Lowe's to pick up some basic necessities for my daughter, like a tool kit, had to get a hammer, due to not in tool kit, couple of smoke detectors, due to did not know how old the one in the apt was, or if it still worked, fire extinguisher, and flashlight. I was thinking that if someone was smart, they would package that in a kit, that you could purchase for first time renter or home owner. Also throw in a home repair guide. Of course she could not do without the microwave, so got that for her.
Sounds exactly like what I was doing a couple years ago, when our baby girl headed off to school. My wife spent more time helping our daughter decorate her apartment, than she spends in our house!

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
DIY staff

The kid is growing up! Where does the time go?

Basic tool box is a good idea----add some screws and fasteners--electrical tape--glue--picture hooks and the little odds and ends like that---a small socket set for assembling cheap furniture ---

And a smiley face inside the lid so she remembers you every time she opens the box!--Mike---
Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

Being safety conscience would not hurt. Would a fire ladder be practical?
How about one of those peep holes in the door. You may need the landlords permission to install that. Check to see if the door is solidly built and has a good lock.
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

rjordan393, the walkway on the second floor was about 3 feet wide, and wood. The stairs going up were wider than the platform. It was the same way with the door on the pool side/courtyard. This building is probably 50 years old. They have baseboard heat, but also have a in-wall Heat/Ac unit like you find in hotels, hanging about four feet up on the wall.

Dr. Hicks It would make a great bachelor pad, if only it was not in the neighborhood that it is in. A lot of low income renters, but really close to the state house and close to us.

Dr. Hicks, figure $60 for the mic, another $64 in essentials for the other from Lowe's tonight. What was funny, Meijer's had the Black mic that we got my daughter on sale, but the white one was listed at regular price of $70.

Mike, I have that stuff, but you have to dig into one of the tubs that I still have filled, when I moved my workbench from under the Kitchen, to now in the Coal Bin, so it is in my own space. I am still sharing space with my wife's Longaberger basket collect, and the Christmas stuff. But I can secure my tools with a lock.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #6

Remember the Duct Tape, Bandaids, Iodine, Hydrogen Peroxide, and
Fire Extinguishers!
Oh to be young again!!

rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Sounds exactly like what I was doing a couple years ago, when our baby girl headed off to school. My wife spent more time helping our daughter decorate her apartment, than she spends in our house!
Sounds like a, win, win situation.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #8

When I mentioned fire ladder, I meant the type that stored just below the window. It fits over the window sill when needed. The building should have a fire alarm. Sometimes these alarms malfunction and/or may not work in time. Find out if the landlord tests it on a yearly basis.

In my area, they are closing firehouse's or browning them out. A brownout is when the authorities close the firehouse for a day or night tour. This means longer responce times by the 2nd in Fire company if the closest firehouse to the building is browned out. Just to show all how important responce times are to the firefighters and the public; take a look at this short film at:
http://www.iaff22.org/index.cfm?section=1
and scroll down to "Why Seconds Count".

Last edited by rjordan393; 09-26-2011 at 04:37 PM.
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #9

http://www.galttech.com/research/hou...ape-ladder.php

There are 2 kinds of portable escape ladders for homes. On the page above, the green ladder on the far right has stand-offs on some of the rungs. The stand-offs keep the ladder away from the side of the building. Without the stand-offs, the weight of your body will move the ladder into the side of the building, then there is no room for your feet to extend over the rungs. Look at teh position of your feet on a step ladder or extension ladder. When you get your purchse home, put the ladder in position under the window and make sure the ladder reaches hte ground and will securly hang from the window moulding.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You could come up with a clever little book I would be happy to help you publish to go with a basic tool kit. You could probably talk somebody like Stanley into putting the kits together for you.

Having seen some of the things I have, be sure and add a "You and Your (or Mommy and Daddy's) Cleaning/Security Deposit" chapter and five quick ways to lose it instantly.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Why notkeep it on here. Pull traffic away from those sites that act like a DIY site, but are nothing more than a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Putting together the kit for my daughter was $60.00 for the following: ABC extenguisher $17.99, 2 pack BRC brand smoke detectors $7.99, small toolkit $9.99, tack hammer $3.99, rechargeable LED flashlight $3.99. Got it from Lowe's. The CO detector, her Land Lord is supposed to suppley, since IL. now mandates it as of 2009.