Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

dark spots on outside of foundation walls

I was wondering if anybody knows what causes the dark spots seen in the picture below, and if it is a serious problem.

The spots are exactly 24 inches apart, so I assume it has something to do with the studs behind the wall.

It might be helpful to know that it is currently fall, so it is a little bit chilly out, and that a bathroom exists on the other side of that foundation wall, but no plumbing is directly behind the wall. (the tap you see runs through the basement ceiling).

ERR...the picture is upside down, and I have no idea why....sorry....but you get the idea I hope... :-)

Thanks in advance for your help...
Attached Thumbnails
dark spots on outside of foundation walls-diy-wall.jpg  

Last edited by kwikfishron; 11-02-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Rotated picture
hswerdfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 122

Looks like it could be water leakage to me.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #3

there are no signs of water leaking on the inside drywall, the floor or plumbing when I remove the drop ceiling.

is there any way to tell it if is a serious issue?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 58

With the spacing the first thing that comes to mind is the insulation or vapor barrier. With the coming of cooler weather the warmer inside meeting with the cooler outside = condensation and it is forming on the studs.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #5

Yep, thermal bridging, pp.11; https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...BiEiG1lHFDd9yA

Gary
Old 11-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

Thanks for all your help guys,
Gary: your link was talking mostly about steel studs I know mine are wood, does that change the issue at all?

How urgent an issue is this? What is the easiest and most effective solution?

The only one I can think of is to move my interior wall out an inch, and put some foam behind the studs.

But I can think of a lot of other things I would rather be doing.is there an easier way.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 58

I think the first step would be to open up the area on the inside, drywall is fairly easy to patch. Then you can determine the condition of your insulation and vapor barrier.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #8

Could you describe the wall make-up, please?

Gary
Old 11-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 94

Just moisture in there. As long as that parge coating is solid to the foundation, I would not worry.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #10

"The only one I can think of is to move my interior wall out an inch, and put some foam behind the studs.

But I can think of a lot of other things I would rather be doing.is there an easier way."------------ I would be concerned. You are getting massive thermal bridging from the studs and they are soaking up interior/exterior humidity being cold; the first condensing surface; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...bout-diffusion

Add some foamboard: to stop the bridging, control the condensation and smell better in the basement; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ts?full_view=1

Right now (if) fiberglass cavity insulation, it is probably wet- touching the cold concrete wall- lose 60-70% of the R-value; http://archive.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/ib...ling-heat.html

Remove the weeds, clean it out and add some backer rod/concrete expansion caulking in the gap to remain flexible but watertight. Fb outside is the only other way... not for your application.

Gary
PS. add fb under the wall plate when relocating for an air/thermal/capillary break from the wet slab; http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code
Old 11-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Mold!! Let's kill it!

There should be weeps in the brick wall above. These will be spaces between bricks where there is no mortar. Where are the stains in relation to the weeps. Are the stains visible all of the time? Certain times of the day? or certain times of the year? Do they disappear completely and then reappear? If so, what are the weather conditions when changes occur? Before I would go tearing walls open, I would study and answer the questions above.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

May be wall absorbs the water or moisture from outside.

alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote